Wattpad Original
There are 10 more free parts

Introduction

This book is not about fetishizing slavery or culture, and is not a book ABOUT slavery. There is no slave/master love here and never will be.🤢 All of my previous readers can tell you, we don't do that around here!

If you have any issues or questions, please send them to my message box and we can have a private conversation about it.

This is a HISTORICAL fiction piece that isn't about slavery and falling in love with anyone's master. I got messages about Kanan being white or that she's falling for an abuser, and he is NOT white NOR is he her master/abuser. She's in a new country that has nothing to do with that. He is brown-skinned and indigenous and had nothing to do with slavery from another land. Please read the book before making any harmful accusations like that. If some of the thoughts and word phrases are offensive to you, please stop reading at any time. I won't be at all upset and will completely understand. This is written from a different time period and is about the development of two people who HAVE personalities. How we think now was not how they thought back then.

And coming from a family whose direct descendants were enslaved in Mississippi, I don't take assuming comments lightly. Though I respect those who don't want to talk about slavery for many valid reasons that I wholeheartedly understand, I won't silence my great great great great grandparents' pain, or the love they found in each other and my family during a horrific time. They are more than what happened to them. Also, being of Indigenous blood as well, I don't take accusing comments lightly.

And I'm sorry, but as her own Black/Indigenous woman with her own stories and reasoning behind writing those stories, you can't tell me what I can and can't write. That's where I draw the line and stand up for myself. My mama can tell me what to do, not you. Find another story to read and I will genuinely understand why. Constructive criticism and questions is one thing, and will ALWAYS be welcomed in my inbox.

Thank you

♡ Thank you for taking the time to read my story! It means the world to me to see so many of you supporting everything I do. This is the first book I wrote that's historical fiction and it took off with so many of you. I thank you all for giving my stories a chance and loving them the way that you do.

♡ I wanna thank my editor Lena, Lauren, and the marketing team for helping me with my Paid Stories journey! They're honestly remarkable and I couldn't have been more proud to have them in my corner. Without you, I wouldn't have been able to live my dream as being a paid writer!

♡ Also, I would like to add that if you cannot afford the whole book at once, you can gather up to 3 coins per day from Wattpad for watching an ad per coin, and use those 3 coins to unlock my book a chapter at a time (but you have to be on the web browser/safari it won't work on the app for the 3 coins at a time)! Thank you to those who are supporting my dream as a young, Afro-Indigenous writer! This was all I ever wanted after starting out as a small Wattpad writer who is still in college!

________________________________

Dedication

♡ I dedicate this one to my Wattpad family. Without you, I wouldn't be the writer that I am today.

♡ I also would like to give a shout out to my best friend, Karen Soto, who is of Inca descent. She absolutely adored this story, so I knew I had to share it with others!

________________________________

Disclaimer

♡ Being that this book has mature themes, there are hints at the life my main character had in slavery. Also, though her first and last name are Spanish (not her middle name), she herself is Black. She has a Spanish name due to colonization, as this is one of the many ways our identity was torn away from us. So I did this purposely! Those who previously caught this, I extra applaud you!

♡ Also, this book has some fantasy in it. Not everything will be historically accurate. Think of this more as magic realism! The dark themes of colonization, however, are very much real. Like I said, this is a fictional piece.

________________________________

E n j o y

-♡ Brianna M. Belle