Had Enough

"Leave my loneliness unbroken"

- Edgar Allan Poe, The Raven

Corrine Pov

          Someone knocking at the door wakes me, stretching my arms out across the bed. When my hand doesn't come in contact with Cassius's body, as if being electrocuted, I push out of the chair I once occupied.

There's no thoughts as I just stare blankly at the empty bed, my hand clutching the other to my chest. Completely forgetting that there was someone at the door, I'm startled when a hand lands on my shoulder. Without thinking I spun around launching myself into their chest thinking it was Cassius, but, to my embarrassment the person was not my brother. Wrapping his arms around me I can feel myself bristling when he drops his head into the space between my shoulder and neck, feeling his hot breath on my skin scares me and makes me want to escape with my tail between my legs.

I'm stopped when I began to pull away when phoenix's arms both tighter around me "don't pull away from me."

"Please."

"Don't avoid me."

Hugging me tighter and nuzzling my neck like a cat. Walking us towards the bed he forces me to sit and quickly takes the spot next to me, taking my hand in his.

"Let me go."

He ignores me and with the quickness of a cat lays his head on my shoulder. I'm still for a second as everything processes the fact that this big man is acting as if he's some domesticated lap dog that can't bear being separated from his owner.

"Will you talk to me, let me help, I know there's something going on. I Know you and Cassius are struggling with something and it's draining the life out of you two. It's almost like you guys are fighting to stay afloat with weights tied to your ankles." with every word that leaves his lips the lump in my throat grows more and more I try to speak but the tightness in my throat keeps me from doing so, so, with my mind made up I try to book it out there but before I can reach the door his hand on my wrist stops me.

Looking up from his spot on the bed, hand wrapped around my much smaller wrist. eyes holding an emotion in them that i don't yet understand at the same time scaring me.

Instead of staying I pulled my hand from him and left the room with only the goal of finding where my brother went.

Phoenix's Pov

             Staring at the hand that touched her skin not only moments ago. Clenching my teeth as I stand to follow after the woman who left, walking down the stairs i catch rin and Ellie talking in the kitchen- if you can call it that- the conversation was being carried by Ellie while rin just listened without responding but it didn't look like Ellie cared much. Seeing as how I did much the same. But what stopped me in my tracks was the barely-there smile as she watched Ellie bustle around the kitchen but as soon as she turned to speak again it disappeared as though it was never there before.

I couldn't believe my eyes, it was the softest I've ever seen her face. For once she looked relaxed, happy.

Was it bad that i was jealous, jealous of the fact that her first simple wasn't towards me.

That she only acts as if she were a cornered animal claws and everything bared ready to attack. I hate that everytime i come around she's ready to bolt like her life depends on it. Like I'm just another predator ready to attack.