Helpless

"There are some secrets which do not permit themselves to be told."

― Edgar Allan Poe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    By the time the faces in front of me registered, they had already excited and were walking towards both me and my brother. I was still too surprised to move or react in any way so when Rory asked a question it wasn't a surprise when Cassius was the one who answered. I tensed, even more, when phoenix stepped up beside me to take the arm Cassius had wrapped around me, taking my place he gently nudged me to the side. "What happened, do you need a ride home?"

"are you hurt anywhere?"

"Why aren't you at home?"

He's throwing all these questions my way without giving me a chance to answer, I'm quick to answer before he can even think to ask another "nothing happened, no. We don't need a ride, and again no I'm not hurt and it's none of your business".

My face was blank and I didn't care if what I said was rude. All I was worried about was getting my brother to somewhere we could stay so he could finally get some rest. Everyone ignored the biting tone of my voice and looked at cas for confirmation of everything I had said. "We're fine, but if you guys have somewhere we can stay it'd really help", wide-eyed I just stared at the side of his face,

Since when was he cool with them!

and WHY is he asking them for help!?

That thought was the main thought in the forefront of my mind, it was crazy to think my brother was relying on anyone other than himself and me. He hated having people think that he was vulnerable and needed taking care of, so thinking he's crazy for asking for help is not so weird. Rory and phoenix look at each other for a moment- a silent conversation- between the two, seconds later Rory says "yeah, sure c'mon well take you there." Both Rory and Phoenix head to the car with my brother in tow, yet I haven't moved an inch. It doesn't take long for them to notice I'm not following.

Cas turns his head to meet my gaze "rin come on, don't be like this. We need help, it's not like we have anywhere else to stay."  We stare at each other a bit longer before I huff and mutter out a "fine," stomping my way towards the car, phoenix opens the door for me. Sliding in, I don't even buckle my seatbelt and instead opt for crossing my arms over my stomach and pouting as I look out the window, blocking everything else out. It seemed like the ride would last forever because of the awkward silence that had settled in the car. No one wanted to point out the elephant in the room and ask the obvious question, instead, I saw where we were pulling up and finally broke the silence "where are we?"

"So she speaks."

I ignored that comment and turned to the less irritating brother and asked again, "It's our place, it's nothing too crazy but its enough" smiling fondly he turned the car off, exiting so he could grab Cassius this time. I hopped out of the car before phoenix had the chance to reach for the handle, I jogged to catch up with Rory taking Cassius other arm and wrapping it around my shoulder, not that I helped much considering the height difference.

Walking through the front door we're welcomed by a wide foyer, there are three pairs of shoes lined against the bottom of the wall. The walls are painted a beige color, their empty save for a couple of family pictures and portraits. The floors are colored deep mahogany with patterns of a wooden texture carved into it, the house had an open floor plan, a huge fireplace indicating that where we were walking was indeed the living room. It was accompanied by a large leather sectional ad flat screen tv that could rival and movie theater screen, where they got it I had no idea.