Chapter 8: Harbingers

"Thank you for visiting our humble quarters, Tanya Niruha," the head of the Bachi guild said. He motioned for her to sit down, and then, in an awkward ceremony, poured her a cup of tea. The hand holding the teapot trembled.

"Why in the heavens would the High Priestess come to meet us? It can't be a good thing," was what he thought.

Tanya didn't let her own thoughts show on her face, instead she gave him her most polite smile. "Thank you for taking the time to meet me. Wulbaek, was it?"

The man nodded.

"There is something I wanted to discuss with the Bachi guild," she said.

"W-why of course," Wulbaek stammered back. "We are not sure if we are able to help, but we will do what we can."

"Thank you," she said. She picked up the cup of tea and took a long, generous sip, all the while keeping her focus on Wulbaek's mind. She knew what she was looking for, so she dug and dug through the mud of his panicky mind to find that little gem that would serve as her weapon. For a moment she wondered if she wouldn't find anything, but then... There it is. I've got you.

She cleared her throat, then cut to the chase. "I know you're not happy with the current political climate."

"What? No, that is not the case at all," Wulbaek said, but his thoughts told a different story. "How did she know? I thought we were being careful."

Yes, they must have been careful, they must have destroyed every possible trace of their activities. Well, they could dispose of physical evidence all they wanted, but they couldn't hide their thoughts from Tanya.

"Don't worry, I'll keep your opinion safe from King Tagon," she reassured him.

Wulbaek's face paled just at the mention of Tagon's name. He didn't answer. His eyes darted around the room, anywhere but at her: at her cup of tea, at the cracking fire in the fireplace, at the nondescript wooden floor. "How much does she know? Could she know about the weapons? Did the Saenyeok Tribe leak information? Did they betray us?"

As she had thought. Tanya had to stop herself from grinning. "As I said, do not worry. I have no intention of telling King Tagon anything. Not even about the weapons you've supplied to the Saenyeok Tribe."

Wulbaek just stared at her in horror.

"To be honest," Tanya continued, "I'm not happy with the current situation either. That is why I came to see you."

"What in the heavens—" Wulbaek thought.

She took another sip to give the poor man a moment to calm down, then said, "You took a risk selling weapons to the Saenyeok Tribe. I took a risk coming here. We're in the same boat, so why not make a deal?"

*

Later, after debates and negotiations that seemed never-ending, Tanya stepped out of the stuffy building, the blinding sun and the busy marketplace greeting her outside.

Wulbaek escorted her to the door and bowed low in farewell. "Please return safely to the Great Shrine, Niruha. We shall be in touch."

Tanya signaled him to go inside with a curt nod, lest they be seen together.

Once she was alone, she allowed herself to breathe properly again. You did it, Tanya. Mubaek would be delighted when she told him everything.

She looked for Yangcha and found him standing guard two buildings away, exactly where she had ordered him to wait. He always took orders so well.