Chapter 6: Of Prophecies

When Tanya had reached the age where she began to notice changes in her body and that of the boys her age—mostly Eunseom's, mind you—the Wahan women had taken her aside. "Remember this," they had told her, "you'll know who you want to spend your life with when you see that special person with children, and when the sight makes your heart race!"

To this day, Tanya thought it was the dumbest advice she had ever received. Until today.

Eunseom sat at a table in the center of the fortress's archives, surrounded by the children of the hardstone workshop. The kids leaned over the table, heads close together, and watched him write on a scroll as he explained the basics of the Aniartz letters. They were oohing and aahing at everything he said, their eyes sparkling with fascination. The scribes, meanwhile, seemed annoyed at the disruption of their daily quiet routine, but couldn't complain in the presence of Tanya and 'Lord Saya'.

Tanya watched the scene unfold from a table in a secluded corner. There was something about Eunseom when he was around children. Maybe because he was one himself. Or maybe because he could be more himself around them. Or maybe because he was very attractive when he smiled. Did he know the effect he had on Tanya when he was like that?

Tanya's heart jumped when he smiled again. She shifted in her seat, trying to calm her poor heart. Her feelings for Eunseom were getting out of control. She knew she couldn't even call it a crush anymore.

If only she could get him to stay in Arthdal...

Still, Tanya had a good feeling about today. According to Doti, step two of their plan had been successful. "He found his friends and we convinced him to stay in Arthdal. I'm that good, Tanya!" or so Doti had reported this morning, evidently proud of her accomplishment.

Tanya had known that sending Doti after Eunseom was a sure way to get him to stay. Doti's persuasion skills were no joke. Besides, Eunseom couldn't refuse children.

But he was someone who could change his mind quickly, so just to be on the safe side, Tanya decided to go through with step three anyway. Knowing that children were his weak point, she introduced him to the children of the hardstone workshop and asked him to become their teacher. Eunseom would begin to feel responsible for the children, become attached to them, and eventually struggle to leave them behind. Yes, it was a brilliant idea. She wanted to laugh out loud in triumph; after step three, Eunseom would have no doubt where his place was.

Just then, Eunseom walked over with a girl, her hand clasped in his. "Tanya," he said, and gave her a boyish smile. There was ink smudged on his cheek.

"Tanya Niruha," the girl said, "Uncle Saya taught us how to write 'star!' Look here." She showed Tanya her exercise sheet.

Uncle Saya? If Saya only knew what people were calling him these days, he'd be devastated over his ruined image. She leaned down and looked at the girl's writing. "Wow, you're a quick study."

"No, Uncle Saya is a good teacher. He's nice, smart, and pretty!"

Eunseom laughed, his face flushed. "Pretty?"

If Tanya didn't have a reputation to uphold, she'd double over with laughter at the sight of Eunseom's embarrassment.

The girl said, "My mom always told me that those things called 'mirrors' don't lie. You must have one in this big house. Please have a look!"

Eunseom looked more and more flustered. "O-okay, go back to the others and keep practicing, okay?" he said to the girl.

Once they were alone and Tanya made sure no one could overhear, she burst into giggles.