Interlude: Humanity

When the missive from Atturad arrived, it was greeted with some confusion. For the Neanthals to write a letter to Arthdal—it just seemed like an impossible event. But Sanung did not appear surprised. He read the missive with glee, over and over again, and only when he was satisfied did he allow Tagon to read it.

The letter was clumsily written, as if by a child's hand. It was from Tagon's mother, who had finally talked some sense into Raknruv, the head of the Neanthals. His father's dream would now come true: they would create a new, peaceful nation, united as one: Humans and Neanthals.

Soon, the Neanthals arrived in Arthdal. Tagon recognized his mother not by her appearance, but because her eyes never left him during the entire meeting.

Sanung gave a long-winded speech about peace, abundance, and the new nation. At the end of his speech, he turned to the room of Union members and Neanthals. "And none of this would have been possible," he said, "if it were not for my son, Tagon." He gazed at Tagon without any sign of disgust or hatred.

This is a dream, Tagon thought.

Taealha was among the crowd and caught his eye. She gave him the sweetest smile, with that young, innocent face, and walked over to whisper in his ear, "Tonight, when the moon meets the Great Shrine, meet me at our clearing in Bandi forest."

Tagon couldn't help himself; he burst out laughing. This dream was funny. If his real Taealha were to witness this, she would laugh too. She'd mock him for still being that silly boy who wanted everyone's attention, even in his dreams. And she wouldn't be wrong.

Tagon awoke to something hard pressing against his cheek. His neck was sore and stiff. He sat up and looked down at the table on which he had apparently fallen asleep. He must have dozed off while reading, judging by the piles of scrolls laid out in front of him. He couldn't guess the time, but when he looked out of the window and saw that the sky had barely darkened, he realized that it was still early in the evening.

For a moment, he considered going back to reading, then considered drinking himself to sleep, then opted against both. He wasn't in the mood for politics, and his alcohol tolerance was too high these days. It would be a waste of good wine.

Instead, he grabbed his most nondescript cloak and headed out for a walk. He ordered the two guards outside to follow behind, just because they'd make trouble if he attempted to leave the palace alone, although at night, dressed down as he was now, no one would look at him twice.

He walked the streets with no particular aim in mind. Twilight was approaching, and the warm lights from inside the houses and taverns spilled cozily out into the streets. Laughter and arguments rang out from beyond the house walls. Every house he passed appeared lively, inhabited, like it had a happy story to tell.

Humans lived like that; Igutus didn't.

There had been times when he could keep such thoughts at bay, times when someone had whispered lovely words in his ear, about purple caterpillars turning into butterflies, about love songs like the ones sung about Asa Sin and Risan.

He remembered his dream. When the moon meets the Great Shrine, meet me in our clearing in Bandi Forest, she had said.

Tagon scoffed to himself. Even if he went there now, she wouldn't be waiting for him.

Nevertheless, he changed course towards the Fortress of Fire.

It was more than unusual for the king to march into the fortress at this hour, but Arthdal was his, and no one would dare stop him. He crossed the courtyard where the tower caught his eye. For a moment he considered visiting Saya—the boy was probably in a pitiful mood because Tanya had left Arthdal this morning—but he discarded the idea as soon as it came. That was not why he was here.