{11}

"Depression is a killer. Even when you're free from it, you feel as though you can't let it go since it's been with you for so long." Sai whispered looking out at the ocean, the waves crashing softly against the sand. "It almost seems like a dear friend,  even though it's caused so much pain." She let her head fall back slightly to look up at the night sky, the stars twinkling down on them. "I don't think I'll ever be free."

    Curtis took her hand in his, the simple act causing her to close her eyes briefly as she tried not to cry. "Don't say that. It just takes time, Sai."

      "It just takes time, huh?" She relied brokenly. "I'm not sure how much time I have left in me, Curtis. It's been over two years and I still can't seem to forgive myself. I know that everyone else has finally moved on, and I should too, but for some reason I can't. I refuse to. I've carried this anger, hurt, and self hatred around for so long that I can't just let it go." She replied defeated. "I want to, trust me..but I just don't think that's possible anymore."

Curtis squeezed her fingers gently. "I know there's nothing that I can say to make you feel better, but I'll at least say this," he looked up at the stars with her, the sound of waves crashing just beneath their feet. "You'll get there one day, one day at a time. Some days will be harder than the last one, but if you don't give up, I believe that you'll finally be able to move on from all the pain." He told her, "I know it's hard to believe, but hey, I did it, didn't I?" He asked her, a small smile on his lips as he stared up at the night sky.

Sai released another breath as she relaxed a bit. "I suppose you're right." She agreed, dropping her shoulders. "Maybe one day I can do the same too."