Part 1

February had rolled around, Trixie had been back with the team at Nonnatus for about a fortnight and Patsy had been gone for the same length of time.

Sister Julienne was first on-call, Phyllis second and Sister Winifred was out delivering the Porter baby.

Upstairs, in Trixie's room, she, Delia, and Barbra were laid. They had been there since recreation, it was the time of the month where Aunt Flo visited them.

Barbra and Trixie were sharing her bed, the former curled silently in the fetal position and the later cross-legged nibbling on the bar of Dairy Milk Delia had picked up on her way home. She was reading a book on Patsy's bed.

"Barbra, do you want some of my Dairy Mil..."

Before Trixie could finish her sentence, Barbra was out of the room like a shot, heaving as she went.

The other two followed her, hearing retching as they pushed open the bathroom door.

Barbra was knelt on the tiles and throwing up all of her dinner into the toilet.

When she had ceased, Delia had a cold flannel, which Trixie held to her head as she sunk back into her arms. They remained like that for nigh on ten minutes, after which Trixie spoke.

"Come on Barbra, let's go back into my room."

The two girls helped her lie down on Trixie's bed, while she sat on the end and Delia returned to Patsy's.

After a while, Trixie felt Barbra's forehead.

"Sweetie, you are apyretic but pale. As a precautionary measure, I'm fetching Sister Julienne."

That caused her to panic. Trying to sit up, she argued.

"No, no!"

Delia laid her back down and questioned her as to why not.

"Because I might be pregnant!"