Part 17

Phyllis offered to run the children home, as it would be a shame to wake their mother and their father would likely be home by now. This was an offer which they gratefully accepted. While there, Patrick gave her Shelagh's dress for the next day, as well as her name up bits.

Handicrafts were cleared away and the glasses and mugs were washed up as quietly as possible.The only downside was that it would be required that Barbara at least would have to be woken to return to the room, with Shelagh occupying the sofa.

Trixie and Val managed to guide her up the winding staircase to the bedroom and settle her into bed before Phyllis got home, when they all went to bed themselves, ready for the big day.

***
When the sisters woke for Compline, they had a small number of guest who arrived just in time, while everyone else was deep in their slumber, gathering strength to head the day.

The sisters prayed, sang both their regular hymns and a special hymn for Barbara and Tom, and then they all filed into Sister Julienne's office.

'As you are all aware, all of our civilian midwives are off today for the wedding of Nurse Gilbert and Mr Herewood. Either way, both Nurse Gilbert and Mrs Turner are off work until further notice. I will be accompanying Sister Monica Joan to the service, alongside Sister Winnifried, which is why you ladies have joined us.'

The four new arrivals were fully qualified and took notes as Sister Julienne briefed them on what to expect:

- 6 babies due this week (4 planned homebirths and 2 in the maternity home)
- Mrs Altman who was due in 4 weeks but was under observation for pre-eclampsia.
- 12 on the insulin round
- 3 hemmeroids
- 2 postnatal checks

Their schedule was drawn up and by that time it was 7 am.

Sister Julienne went to wake Shelagh, so she could get ready, while Sister Winnifried had joined Phyllis, Trixie and Delia to wake the bride and serve her breakfast in bed - all ready to head to battlestations.