Fubuki Shirou is a spy now?

Fubuki Shirou is my favorite character and I admit that I enjoyed reading (and maybe writing) fanfiction that centered around him doing cool things. That being said, I slowly came to learn that sometimes too much wish fulfillment could make a character less believable. Fubuki is my favorite character because of who he is in the story and as a person. He's already cool as he is so why make him do something he wouldn't normally do for the sake of being "cool"? It just ruins the character.

So when Orion made Fubuki Shirou a spy, my suspended disbelief shattered.

Fubuki isn't an idiot. He's a talented athlete when it comes to soccer and winter sports. He's charismatic, further emphasized in the Ares timeline. That being said, I would never see him as a spy. He's smart, but not that smart. He's not cunning enough to go undercover and with his reputation as a skilled sportsman, he'll definitely stick out like a sore thumb.

His role also came out of nowhere. One minute he said strange things about someone being out to get them, the next minute was him being the "traitor" by taking data. And his final moments was spent getting tied up. He's barely even present so there's no weight or impact from his actions. In other words, there doesn't seem to be any significant narrative purpose for him being a spy.

Aside from that, it wouldn't make sense in a thematic sense. Why include Atsuya in the timeline when the Fubuki twins wouldn't even fulfill their dream of playing soccer together  in the big leagues?

Overall, Orion's plotline of making Fubuki Shirou a spy makes zero sense with his character. It also doesn't seem to matter in the story as a whole and I feel bad for his brother.