Breaking up Is Hard to Do

"I don't understand," Zach said, for what had to be the tenth time in the last five minutes.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I sank my teeth into my bottom lip, hoping the sting would distract my mind from the gnawing ache in the center of my chest. "I'm so sorry, Zach." How many more times would I have to apologize for breaking his heart?

"But you still haven't given me a reason. Did I do something wrong?"

I couldn't answer that question, if only because there was no rational explanation for why I had decided to break up with my boyfriend of the past three years. All I knew was that our relationship had run its course and it was time to move on. That didn't mean it didn't hurt.

"You didn't do anything wrong," I said. "I just need some space. I need to think about things, okay?"

"What things, Blake? You're not making any sense. Is this because I went to the gym with Gabe today instead of the party with you?"

"No, of course not."

"Because I told Gabe that I'd rather go to the party. You know how he can be when he doesn't get his way."

"I know, and that's not it."

"Well . . . it has to be something," he said, grasping. "Is there another guy?"

"No!"

My firm denial and the silence that followed said otherwise, though. I squeezed my eyes shut again and held my breath, waiting for him to say something.

"I love you," he said, at last, his voice cracking. "Doesn't that mean anything?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "I love you, too—I do—and that will never change. But I don't know . . . I don't know why . . . I'm just really confused right now."

"You're not thinking straight," Zach agreed. "Maybe you're, I don't know, about to get your period. You know how emotional you get right before that happens."

Ignoring the comment about my menstrual cycle, I instead tried to think of another plausible explanation for why I had suddenly decided to end things with Zach. Still, all my thoughts raced back to John. I'd had an undeclared crush on him since freshman year, but not once had I felt inclined to act on it. So what was the reason for my bizarre behavior now?

"You're right," I said. "I'm not thinking straight, which is why I need some time to figure things out."

Zach's voice was thick when he answered. "Fine, Blake. Take some time. But not too much time," he added in a rush. "I miss you already."

I swiped the tears from my cheeks with the back of my hand. "I'll talk to you later, Zach."

Disconnecting the call, I fell back on my bed. I rolled over and smashed my face into my pillow, hoping I would asphyxiate and put an end to this terrible feeling. I hated myself.

What had compelled me to break up with Zach? I wasn't lying when I said I loved him, and yet my mind kept drifting back to the few strange yet exhilarating hours John and I had spent together that afternoon. Crush or no crush, I barely knew the guy. So what if there'd been a spark between us? So what if his kiss had made my knees tremble? That didn't change how I felt about Zach. He was my rock, my number-one guy, the absolute love of my life.

But that kiss . . .

That damn kiss!

Groaning with frustration, I lobbed the pillow across the room. My entire body buzzed with the memory of John's lips pressed against mine. Putting my hand to my mouth, I closed my eyes and recalled his face in perfect detail—the deep green eyes, the sharp slope of his nose and cheekbones, the perfect shape of his lips. Unfortunately, the side of my hand felt nothing like John's mouth, and I let my arm flop at my side.