Wild Goose Chase

I lay in bed Monday morning listening to the sounds of my parents getting ready for work: the water running, dishes rattling in the kitchen, the trumpeting blare of my dad blowing his nose. And then, at last, the anticipated knock at my door.

"Hey," my mother said as she poked her head inside. "You're going to be late for school if you don't get out of bed."

Rolling over, I pulled the covers up under my chin. "I don't think I can go today."

My mom entered my room. "Why not?"

"I'm not feeling well."

Her lips formed a thin line. I could tell she was striving for patience. "You've already missed a lot of school, Blake. How do you expect to keep up if you're never there?"

"Occasionally missing a day of school is not the end of the world. It's fine."

She breathed out heavily through her nose. "I got a phone call from your advisor. She suggested a district-appointed tutor."

I sat up in bed. "I don't need a tutor!"

"Your grades say otherwise. This is your senior year, Blake. You're not dying, so you have no excuse not to go to school. Take your medication and eat something for breakfast. I'll write you a note, say you had a doctor's appointment and that's why you're late."

"But I don't feel well," I complained, flopping against the mattress and throwing my arm over my face. "Can't I stay home? I promise I'll go tomorrow."

"You overdid it yesterday, didn't you? You stayed out way too late. You were supposed to be grounded, by the way."

"I was feeling okay," I said, peeking out at my mother from under my arm. "Besides, I've been cooped up in this house for too long. I needed to get out."

My mother opened her mouth to say more on the subject but then closed it again. "Fine," she said with a relenting sigh. "You can stay home today." She pointed a finger at me. "But you have to study and get caught up on your work. I mean it."

"I will."

Her face relaxed. "Do you want me to check on you at lunch? I can bring you something to eat. Your favorite soup from the cafe?"

I shook my head. "I'll be okay. I'll probably just read and watch TV."

"And study," she reminded me.

"Yep."

"Maybe take a nap, too."

"It's high on the agenda."

She bent down to kiss my forehead and then rubbed away the lipstick she'd left behind. "I'll come home early tonight."

"Don't rush on my account. Seriously, I'll be fine."

My mother gave me a look that said she didn't quite believe me, but she wiggled her fingers goodbye and walked away, closing the door quietly behind her.

I immediately grabbed my cell from the nightstand and texted Olivia: Not going to school today. Sick.

She Facetimed a second later. "You're ditching me?"

"I'm not ditching you. I'm sick."

"You know we have a calculus test today, right?"

"I assure you that calculus is the least of my concerns."

"Lunch is going to suck without you there. Want me to get your assignments?"

"Don't bother. I've got a week's worth of homework waiting for me. I can't handle more."