Crossing Lines

I pinched the bridge of my nose, pushing the feeling of betrayal down into the pit of my stomach. "When you say they can't find out, who are you talking about?"

"There is a zero-tolerance policy for vampires who bite humans," he said, not answering my question. "If they find out what's he's done—"

"It's clear you're not going to tell," I said. "And I doubt Ian's going to turn himself in. I'm just a mere human, but I'm not stupid. I'm not about to waltz into a lair of vampires and advertise I've been infected. They'd probably finish the job on their own and be done with me."

"There's no vampire lair," John said. "Not exactly. Besides, no vampire would touch you now."

"Why not?"

"Because you literally smell like death."

I glared at him but let the comment slide. "Answer my question. Who are you afraid will find out about Ian?"

John half-turned away. "I shouldn't even be talking to you about this."

I grabbed his arm, forcing him to look at me. "Don't get all shy on me now. You owe me. If I'm going to die, at least do me the courtesy of answering my questions."

There was a tiredness in his eyes, an exhaustion I didn't recall being there this past summer. The last two months had obviously taken their toll. "There are those whose job it is to make sure vampires don't cause problems."

"Like vampire police?"

"They're called Watchers," he said. "There's one Head Watcher in every jurisdiction, and each Head Watcher has other Watchers who work below him or her."

"So it was a Head Watcher who issued the warrant for Ian's arrest."

John nodded. "Ian was living in Los Angeles at the time and nearly got caught. He skipped town, making stops along the way and hiding out, never staying in one place for very long. He ended up in New York City. He swears he didn't attack anyone when he was on the run."

I massaged my brow, feeling a tension headache coming on. "So what brought him here?"

"I did."

"You?"

"Not on purpose," he said defensively. "Remember how I said vampires and their progeny share a special bond? Well, that bond is easier to ignore with time and distance. Ian and I hadn't seen each other in years, but then when he was in New York . . ." He let his words trail off. "I guess you could say he was drawn here. He said he hadn't felt such peace in a long time."

"I don't understand."

John took my hand in both his. "Vampires who share a bond can often feel each other's emotions. He felt what I was feeling when you and I were together."

I listened to John without really hearing his words. Something he had said tugged at a buried memory. I mentally grasped at the image of a man in a leather coat and hat, trying to recall his name. I'd seen him once in The Marauder's Cove where John worked, and many more times patrolling the streets of downtown. Olivia and I had joked before that he was a vampire. Could he actually be one?

"I've got to go," I said abruptly, pulling my hand out of John's and turning away.

"Wait. Where are you going?"

"We can't be together," I said, retreating several steps. "You have to let me go."

"But I love you!" he said, his voice cracking. "Please, Blake. Don't leave!"

My eyes swam with tears but I blinked them away, shaking my head. "I'm sorry, John. Sometimes loving someone just isn't enough."

He let me go then without further word and I hurried to my car. I didn't bother to look back, but I felt his eyes on me the entire time.