Prologue

Prologue

The Deaths That Started It All

     On the cold night of December 3rd, two men walked out of a house with incriminating information on a hard drive. They looked down the street to check for cars but didn't see the black SUV parked in the woods. Sebastian opened the door to his car and slid into the driver's seat. His friend, Anthony, slid into the passenger seat.

     "Thanks for coming with me," Sebastian said, starting up the car.

     "Of course. I can't let you do this alone. You're my friend and a lot of people might want this information," Anthony replied, pointing at Sebastian's pocket with the hard drive. "I'm just worried-"

     "That they may be on to us?" Sebastian finished the sentence for him.

     Anthony nodded, pulling his coat collar around his neck, shivering slightly.

     "Anthony, you have a son who needs you. You shouldn't be involved in this, especially if anything goes wrong. You're not even part of the investigation." Sebastian said, turning up the heat.

     "We're the only ones in this investigation," Anthony pointed out.

     "You know what I mean. This is part of my job as an investigator," Sebastian said.

     "I want to do this. Come on, let's just get this over with."

     Sebastian drove down the driveway and pulled out into the road. They were headed for NSA headquarters with newly discovered information. Information that could change the world. The black SUV pulled out behind them.

     "Shit."

     "What is it?"

     "Behind us."

     Anthony glanced at the mirror. "Shit. What do we do?"

     Sebastian stepped on the gas and the car shot forward. "Call the police. I didn't think they found out so soon. I only told my superior at the NSA what I was investigating..." he trailed off. Then swore again. The car went faster, and the SUV kept up.

     "911 what's your emergency?"

     "Our lives are in danger," Anthony said into the phone. "We have important information with us and there's someone following us. We are-"

     "THEY'RE GOING TO HIT US!" Sebastian screamed. He swerved to the left just as the SUV rear ended them in the back. The phone flew out of Anthony's hand as both their bodies were flung forward. The car started spinning out of control. The SUV hit them again and the car skidded off the road and into the ditch. The SUV stopped in the middle of road.

     Anthony blinked his eyes. There was something hot trailing down his face and his vision was blurry.

     "Anthony?" Sebastian asked, his voice sounding faint. "Are you okay?"

     "Yeah." Anthony looked over at Sebastian. His friend was bleeding from his forehead and nose, but otherwise seemed alright. "The SUV is still there." He swore. "There's two men getting out of the car. Sebastian, what do we do?"

     Sebastian didn't reply.

     "Sebastian?"

     "I'm so sorry Anthony. I'm so-"

     The two men reached the car in the ditch. They didn't ask any questions. There were two gun shots. Then, silence.

     The police would arrive at the scene in a few minutes, but the SUV would be gone along with the hard drive. And strangely enough, the deaths of Anthony Rose and Sebastian Clemens were never investigated.