13 - A Door Closes, A Door Opens

Naya

Did I think that my visit to la Perle would end the way it did with me giddy and excited for the days to come? Me leaving with an opportunity that blows all of the previous ones I had out of the water?

No, not in the least.

I practically was floating during my walk to my spot. The temperature was exceedingly freezing and everyone was walking determinedly to get to where they needed to be, out of the cold. Not me, though. I was frolicking in the icy wind, moving through the air like I was a snow princess.

Central Park wasn't exactly empty but it wasn't exactly scarce, so I took it as the opportunity to act more like a crackhead who just got a fix, my happiness unwavering.

It was only when I got to my spot and saw the person sitting on the bench that I faltered. I saw the dark head of wavy, thick hair and the back of a long black, woolen coat. Someone I haven't seen in weeks.

I visited my spot a lot during my week of healing to clear my head like I always did. I was surprised that this place wasn't overturned by people at the park gawking at me, watching me disappear through the leaves. If they wanted to bother me with questions, pity, or laughs, they had every right to follow me here, but no one did, and for that, I was eternally grateful.

That's why I know who is sitting there, the only person who I let in on the idea of this place being mine. I contemplated whether I should approach him or not, knowing that something changed between us on the opening night of the musical. He showed up that night and vanished from my life entirely afterward.

It hurt knowing that he wasn't there when I half expected him to be. He sought me out that night, hushing the disorderly chaos that was happening all around us. I saw how deeply he was concerned when his eyes drilled into mine. He cared for my well-being too, making sure Danica took me home and kept me safe, but all of that was gone the moment the night was over because I have not seen him since.

The war between selves erupted again, one side telling me to turn tail and never come back and the other side telling me to do the very opposite, goading me to see the man I have wanted to see for three whole weeks now.

Longing and curiosity won, and on my own volition, I started walking towards the bench, towards Lucio.

I thought he would hear me crunching the grass behind him, but it was only when I stood right in front of him that he noticed me. He was absorbed in his own thoughts before I got there, staring out into the distance, but now he was focused on me with the most heart-wrenching look I had ever seen from him. He looked like he was relieved and happy to see me but regretting that he was. I had no idea why, but it was time to find out.

"Is this seat taken?" I asked, with a small smile plastered on my face. Those were his first words to me when he caught me like that, it only makes sense I return the favor.

"No, it's not," he answered, giving me a smile that didn't reach his eyes. "Please, sit."

I did as he said, but rather than leaving space between us as we did in the beginning, I plopped right next to him. Before everything, he and I were warming up to each other, getting closer with every meeting we had here, so it shouldn't be awkward if I continued things the way they were.

But even as I say that I can't help but feel like I made the wrong choice. Lucio tensed up next to me.

"I haven't seen you in a long time," I stated, scooting away from him after making him uncomfortable. I looked at him from where I sat, meeting his profile. "What have you been up to?"

He didn't say anything, looking like he was choosing his response carefully, and it puzzled me tremendously. It was then that I took the time to look at him. Lucio's long coat was on top of an ash gray suit today with a black tie. His beard was more prominent than I had seen it last, but it was kept short no less. His ear-length hair was free of gel, looking loose and wild and lovely all at once. I was used to the deep, royal blue color that his eyes had, but at this moment, they mirrored navy blue and I wondered how that could be possible.