chapter seven

Eli's POV

I sat on the left side of Chambers bed reading a poetry book I had left in his room years ago. We never hung out like that, so I assumed it was from a time I was here with the girls and forgot it.

As I flipped through the pages, I noticed on the second last page there was something written.

I remember you talked about wanting this book for forever, but you didn't want anyone to think it was stupid that you like poetry. Don't let anyone tell you what you can and can't like, and stop letting people push you around. You're greater than they are.. this is as sappy as it gets so enjoy.

Merry Christmas,
- Jason

I smiled. I forgot that he was the one who got me this book. The whole time I was thinking it was my mom. As I flipped through the book, Chambers came out with a towel wrapped at his waist and another one around his neck.

"Uh- excuse me?! I'm still here!" I said, covering my eyes with the book, trying not to snicker.

He laughed, "if we're gonna be together, you gotta get used to seeing this hot body baby!" He said, flexing his muscles as I peeked over the book.

"Hurry up and change you dufus!"

"Alright, alright." He said, scurrying off into the closet.
When he disappeared, I jumped up to put the book away. He came back out a minute later fully clothed and grabbed my hand, pulling me into a waltz position, swaying softly. Cute.

"So, what do you wanna do?" He asked, smiling down at me.

"I don't know." I responded. This slow waltz was actually quite calming, I found myself feeling a little sleepy, and rested my head on his chest.

"You wanna get something to eat, and figure something else out after?" He asked, and I nodded yes.

"Five guys burgers & fries?"

"You know me so well." I responded, with a soft chuckle.

As we drove to the fast food restaurant, I looked down at Chambers' hand intertwined with mine. It's cute, and his hands are surprisingly soft.

"I could go get the food but you'll have to let go of my hand." He chuckled. I looked up to see him looking right at me, his eyes glossy, and the sunset hitting his face just right. This guy is so perfect.

"Sorry, I didn't realize we were here already." I said, pulling back.

"Don't worry about it. You wanna go inside?" He asked. I nodded, removing my seatbelt and getting out of the car.

We walked in, and found a booth close to the window. A waiter quickly came over and took our orders.

"So, what were you and Lucas talking about earlier?" Chambers asked.

"He wanted to apologize for never sticking up for me... and he asked if we had something going on." I told him, looking down at the Pepsi cola in font of me.

"We've got a lot going on, eh?" He said, winking at me, and lightly scratched the inside of my hands.

"You're such a kid." I said with a grin.

"Seriously though, do you think he meant it?" He asked.

"I guess? Even if he didn't, what he's apologizing for is something I need to get over and just move on from. For myself. I hate talking about shit from middle school and freshman year, cause that's old, but it still haunts me a little. Like, people still make homophobic comments when they think I can't hear and I just don't say anything. Sometimes I really don't care, then sometimes it makes me feel like no one will love me for who I am." I told him.

"Hey, cmon, don't talk like that," Chambers said, grabbing my hand, "you have tons of people around you who love you."

"I know, I know, but it's beyond that. When people say shit like that with the intentions of hurting me, I feel like that contributes to my character, and not always in a good way. It can tear you down, but it can also make you stronger... sometimes I don't know if I am strong enough." I continued.

"I know it's easier said than done, but you should let that stuff go, for your own sake. When we graduate at the end of the year, real life begins, and I doubt they'll be ready for it cause people out there won't put up with their shit. There are people out there fighting for gay rights, equal rights, fighting to end racism. You're voice is just as powerful." He spoke.
"When I came out to the guys on the team some of them were fine with it, and some obviously couldn't put their homophobia aside. I had to let them know that I don't care what they think cause I'm not going anywhere. Besides I doubt they'd wanna go against me." He added, flexing his muscles.

"I didn't know you came out to anyone. I mean, I did just find out you're bisexual a couple days ago but still." I said.

"Yeah, I just got tired of hiding, and I made sure to let them know they weren't my type." He laughed.
"I always wanted to ask if you were gay but I didn't know if that was rude to ask. Everyone always assumed you were but I didn't want to be like everyone else. I don't really know any of the "rules" and stuff. I'm just being myself." He smiles.

"Thanks Chambers." I chuckled with a smile. Hearing him speak so genuinely made my heart melt. Though he's always been kind, I've never seen this side of chambers. Him being so... deep? I know it's not so nice to say but I never thought his brain could grasp a topic like this.

"No problem, Eli. Now let's eat." He said, taking a big bite out of his burger.

"Gah! I'm stuffed." Chambers said, stretching in his seat. I wasn't even finished yet. I ate all my fries, but only half of my burger.
"You wanna get that to go?" He asked.

"Yeah I think I'll do that. Can we go for a walk after? Maybe get rid of that food coma I know is about to drop on your head." I chuckled.

I got a small to-go box, and we drove back to Chambers place so that we could walk to my house from there.

"Thanks for hanging out with me today." Chambers said, throwing his arm around my shoulder.

"No problem, I had fun. I suppose, we can do it again." I said sarcastically, and he gave me a light nudge.

"You want a ride to school tomorrow?"

"Yeah, sure." I replied.

As we approached my house, there was Jason, parked on the curb. He hopped off his car when we saw us, and put his hands in his pockets.

"Can we talk?" Jason said. I was speachless.