chapter nine

Eli's POV

I woke up to my alarm blaring in my ears, telling me to wake up. I just wanted to lay here all day and do nothing.

"Aren't you gonna get up? You're gonna be late for school." My mom said, from the other side of the room door.

I sighed, pulling myself out of bed. Getting ready for the day. For some reason I wasn't feeling good, I didn't even bother to shower. I brushed my teeth, dragged on a tracksuit, and went downstairs. When I entered the kitchen, my moms boyfriend was sitting at the island counter, with coffee in hand and scrolling on his iPad.

"Good morning, Eli." He said, once he looked up and saw me at the fridge.

"Hello Peter. Did you spend the night here?" I asked.

"I did, I hope that's alright." He spoke cautiously.

"I don't think I have the authority to tell you not to, so what I think is and isn't alright, doesn't really matter." I said, looking him dead in the eyes while pouring my orange juice. He smiled nervously.

"So, uh, your mother and I were planning to go out for dinner this weekend, and I thought it would be a good idea for you to come with us." Peter spoke.

"Oh?" I said sarcastically.

"Finally! I guess you're gonna be late today." My mother said, giving me a side hug as she entered the kitchen, and kissed Peter on the lips.

"I have a ride." I told her.
"Also, Peter here, suggested I join you two for dinner this weekend." I said.

"Such a great idea, right?" She said excitedly. She was probably boosting him to do it before I came downstairs.

"I don't want you to feel pressured, so you can just let us know later?" He said.

"Sure." I smiled. I looked down my phone which just vibrated. Chambers had sent a text saying he'd be there in two minutes. I said my goodbyes and hurried out to his car with my bag.

"You couldn't have pulled up at a better time." I chuckled, while putting on my seatbelt.

"I guess you could say I'm your night in a shining Range Rover." He grinned.

"Oh, shut up and drive!" I chuckled, as he peeled off.

"So, how'd things go with Jason last night?" Chambers asked.

I sighed before speaking "he said Lucas told him about the conversation we had a couple days ago, and that made him want to 'say his piece'." I told him.

"And what did he have to say?" Chambers asked me.

"I didn't let him say much to be honest. When I gave him the chance he said nothing, so no more chances for him. However, he did admit that ghosting me was a pretty shitty thing to do, and he just has a lot going on. He says he can't tell me what though." I explained. Chambers just hummed in acknowledgment.

"Yeah... it did give me some peace of mind but not enough for me to want to rebuild our friendship." I said.

"I just want you to know that I'd never do anything like that. I promise." Chambers said, placing his right hand on mine, while the left hand controlled the steering wheel.

"I know." I smiled at him.

We arrived at school fifteen minutes before the warning bell rang, thankfully. That way I have time to mentally prepare myself for boring classes all day. Except biology and creative writing. If those were the only two classes I had all day, I'd be totally fine.

"Did I just see you get out of Chambers' car?" Alexis asked, walking up to my locker, with Alisha and summer next to her.

"Yeah, he gave me a ride to school." I told them, while putting my jacket into my locker.

"Interesting." I heard Alisha say.

I slowly turned to face her with narrowed eyes, "what do you mean 'interesting'?" I asked.

"Oh nothing, you guys have just been spending a lot of time together." She grinned.

"We literally hung out for the first time in years yesterday." I said, rolling my eyes.

"Oh I see! You guys have something going on!" Summer realized.

"Like?" I said, turning to her.

"Something sexy?!" Summer said trying to wiggle her eyebrows.

"Ew don't do that!" I said to her.

"Anyways! Let's all get to class." Alexia said super enthusiastically.

"Yeah, let's." I said, scurrying off.

I tuned out my History teacher as I scrolled through Instagram. I stopped on a post of the girls and I at the party. We were huddled together on the patio, and the second picture was of me, Summer, Chambers, and his friend. The closer I looked at his friend the more familiar he looked but I'm sure I've never met him before.

"Hey." Someone said judging me.

I looked to my left and saw the kid point to his left. Sitting next to him was Lucas. He waved and pointed to the piece of paper he had in his hand before passing it to the kid to give to me. I gave him a weird look before I unfolded the paper and read it.

"Wanna hang out at lunch?" The note read.

I tensed up and didn't even glance over at him. I folded the note and acted as if I didn't just read it. Why the hell would he be asking me to hang out?

The lunch bell finally rang and I grabbed my bag, dashing out the door.

"Eli, wait up!" I heard Lucas say. I let out a sigh and turned around to face him.

"Hi Lucas." I said plainly.

"You read the note right? So how about it?" He asked.

"Look Lucas, I'm all for this apology tour you're on, but that doesn't mean we're gonna be hanging out. I'm not holding anything against you but we're not the same people we were way back when." I told him.

"I totally get it. Maybe another time." He smiled before turned to walk away, but quickly turned back around.
"I just kinda miss the way things were. I know we didn't really talk much when we were "friends" but I'd like to get to know the person you are now." He said while awkwardly rubbing his hands.

"I don't know, just give me some time to think about it." I smiled. He smiled back, and walked over to his friends. Jason looked towards me for a second, and that was my cue to turn and walk away.

Hiii!! I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who's been reading and voting on my story :) I've been having a bit of writers block but more chapters coming soon <3

- hefa