The Impossible [Magic Realism]

In our world, we have different abilities that we possess. I am one of those who have more than one abilities that they have within themselves.

They told me that I inherit both of my parents' abilities. My mother can pause time while my father can relive memories and moments from other people's past. But unfortunately, he can't relive his memories and moments that I acquire from him.

I don't mind if I can't relive my memories and moments, but I am happy because I can help our citizens in my country. That is the reason why, when I was sixteen years old, I started to join our government's organization with extraordinary abilities to help others. Most of the members of our group are over twenty years that didn't shock me at all.

I met a girl who has the same age as me. She started to make friends with me. It didn't take long that we became very close to each other. We to talk about ourselves and our families.

"It means that you are alone?" I solemnly asked her. She didn't lift her head, but instead, she kept her head down. "Not really. I am staying with my grandparents, and they are my new guardians."

I became downhearted when I heard her story. I felt sorry for her what happened to her parents. I want to help her, but I don't know what shall I do. I can't turn back time, and it is illegal to do so.

While we are patrolling around Virginia Street, I had an idea that can help Olivia. If I could still remember, she can't remember who killed her parents because of the trauma she had after they died.

When we took our break and stayed inside a restaurant hall, I approached her and said, "Olivia, I know how I can help you. Come with me, please." She only nodded, then held my left hand.

We went to the rooftop of the restaurant's building, then she confusingly asked. "How can you help? What are we doing here?"

I showed her a sweet smiled before I speak, "You will know later. Do you trust me on this?"

She was a bit hesitant, but after a few seconds, she spoke, "Okay. I trust you, Hugo." Then I held her both hands, and I closed my eyes.

When I finished reliving her memories, I slowly open my eyes. I saw her tears falling on her cheeks and dropping on the ground. I wiped her tears using my bare hands, then she suddenly spoke, "I saw my parents' dead body, but I can't still see the face of the killer."

I insisted her to do it again. I thought that after the second try, we could finally know about the killer. But we failed. It is my first to experience difficulty in reliving a memory from a person's past. I can't quite grasp her memory of the face of the killer.

Father is precise on what he said to me before I join our group. "Hugo, remember that one day, our special ability to relive memories and moments of a person's past will show it's limit. If the person doesn't want to reminisce that specific memory or moment even though she/he wanted to, it will always fail. No matter how many times you retry, nothing will happen."

----END---