The Instincts

(Lexie POV)

We were currently on a plane to another case. I was sat on the couch as Spencer was asleep. He started murmuring in his sleep and I turned to him. "Reiders." I say, no response. "Reiders." I say and he wakes up. "Sorry, I was dreaming." Spencer says. "Ha, no kidding." Emily says. "We found a 6-year-old boy who had been abused and stabbed. Your baby was at the crime scene. I was trying to get him out of there. Sorry." Spencer says as he rubs his eyes. "It's ok." JJ says. "You know, Reid, simple dream analysis... If there's a baby in your dreams, that baby's actually you." Morgan says and I scoff at him. "I don't believe in dream analysis." Spencer says. "I don't know. It makes sense. The case we're working on and the case in your dream both involve children. Maybe your subconscious is telling you you want to sit this one out." Hotch says. "I don't." Spencer says. "Well, maybe you're just stressed out about going home to Las Vegas. Did you tell your mom you're coming?" Emily questions. "Why aren't we reviewing the case file?" Spencer questions. "I don't know. Maybe because someone fell asleep on the jet." Emily says and I chuckle. "All right, let's start from the beginning one more time. This is Ethan Hayes. He was 5. 2 weeks ago he was abducted out of his own front yard." I say while handing out the picture of the boy. "Where were his parents?" Spencer questions. "His mom just ran inside to grab her purse. When she came back, he was gone." I say.

"She wasn't away for more than a minute or 2. Police found his body exactly one week later in the desert. He was in a new change of clothes. His nails clipped. His hair was combed." JJ says. "That's a lot of remorse." Rossi says. "No sign of sexual assault. The medical report suggests he was smothered. Unsub could see this death as merciful." Hotch says. "Who's the new boy?" Emily questions. "Michael Bridges. Yesterday, he set out to walk by himself to a friend's house a block away. He never showed up." JJ says. "Are we sure these cases are even connected?" Spencer questions. "The unsub called each of the families." JJ says. "But no ransom demand." Rossi says. "It was more like taunts. He's telling them it's their fault that their child was taken." JJ says and Rossi nods. "Ok. So, we have an unsub who shows remorse and then projects his guilt onto the victims' parents." Morgan says. "And if we're lucky, 6 more days to find a boy before he's killed." Hotch says. 

We eventually land and Morgan, Spencer and I go to where they are holding the body of Ethan Hayes. I start putting my gloves on. "There was no bruising around his neck or face. I'm guessing he used a pillow." The doctor says. "Was there any sign of a struggle?" Spencer questions. "No, but he would have been extremely weak." The doctor says. "Why's that?" Morgan questions. "This is where it gets weird. He was noticeably thin. And both his stomach and intestines were completely empty." The doctor says. "He was being starved?" I question. "It seems that way." The doctor says. "Ok. So, what's the weird part?" Morgan questions. "I wanted to determine if malnutrition played a part in his death. So, I looked for evidence of starvation ketosis by analyzing some vitreous humor... The squishy part of the eyeball... and I couldn't find any ketone bodies there." The doctor says. "Meaning?" Morgan questions. "He was getting nutrients somehow." Spencer says. "Through an I.V?" I question. "There were no marks to indicate that." The doctor says. "Any idea what else it could it be?" Spencer questions. "Honestly, I have no idea." The doctor says. I turn to both Spencer and Morgan in confusion. 

We go back to the SUV and we start driving to the kidnapping site. Once we get there we quietly open the door and I am about to start speaking but Hotch holds up a finger and I quiet down. "Garcia, anything?" Hotch questions. "It looks to be a disposable cell phone. I couldn't triangulate the call. But it did bounce off not one but 2 towers." Garcia says. "Meaning?" Hotch questions. "I know he's mobile. And I know he's moving within the Las Vegas limits. He didn't travel outside the city." Garcia says. "It's just a start. Like I said, the more he talks, the more we'll learn about him." Hotch says. "These are Agents Morgan, Ortiz, and Reid. They'll be here all night just in case he calls back." JJ says and I smile warmly at the woman. "I need to lie down." Mrs. Bridges says. "Of course." JJ says. "You should go with her." JJ says to Mr. Bridges and he nods and follows his wife. "What'd you find out from the medical examiner?" Hotch whispers. "We think that he's starving them." Spencer says in a whisper. "But that doesn't fit with the care he takes with the bodies.  Starvation would be a form of torture." Hotch says. "There's no sexual assault. The torture could be a substitute for the sex act." I whisper. "I'll coordinate with Rossi and Prentiss. We'll call you if there's anything new." Hotch says as he and JJ leave.