Chapter5

Notes: this chapter ends this book I'll put out the last book soon. End Note
_________________________________________

While she slept, Korra dreamed of Asami.

She dreamed of her mate's laugh, her mate's smile, the taste of her mate's mouth. She dreamed of warm blankets and warmer hugs, the heat of Asami's body pressed against hers. She dreamed of kisses and scent and the taste of skin. She dreamed of sledding in the South Pole, and of gazing up at the Spirit World's beautiful green sky with fingers entwined. Green, just like Asami's eyes.

When the sunlight breaking across her face became bright enough to wake her, Korra's lashes fluttered. There before her were the very same eyes, staring lovingly into hers.

Asami.

Korra could recognize the scent of her mate anywhere, whether it was tinged with perfume for work, sharp with sweat after a sparring match, or mixed with grease and gasoline. Still, she felt a pleasant jolt of surprise in her chest. Soon, it became a glow. "You're really here," she breathed, a fact she was desperately grateful for that morning, and every other morning.

Asami gave a quiet laugh. "Korra, you're my mate. You've lived here for over a year. I've given you two pups. I'm not going anywhere."

"I know," Korra said, in a sigh tinged with happiness. "I just..."

"You don't have to explain." Asami shifted closer beneath the covers, caressing Korra's cheek with an outstretched hand. "Kiss me?"

Korra kissed her. She wouldn't have minded morning breath, but Asami tasted like normal—hot mouth and silken tongue and just a little sweetness. It was the taste she'd grown to love, and the familiarity of it, the affectionate way Asami nibbled her lower lip, nearly made her eyes water.

Their lips lingered longer than expected, teasing and taking, but it was only when Asami broke away and glanced between their bodies that Korra noticed just how much she'd enjoyed herself. There was a considerable tent beneath the blanket, and she offered Asami a sheepish grin of apology. "Sorry. I'll take care of it in the sho—"

"I'll take care of it," Asami murmured, sliding her hand down to palm the swell beneath the sheets. The pressure of Asami's fingertips and the texture of fabric brushing along her length made Korra's breath hitch, but it was Asami's words that sent more heat rushing between her legs. "What kind of omega would I be if I left my mate unsatisfied?"

A conflicted whine caught in Korra's throat. Her eyes flicked in the other direction, toward the handmade crib in the corner. She had built it based on Asami's design, and some of the materials were flame-retardant rather than traditional. Even so, pride swelled in her chest whenever she looked at it—although this time, it was mixed with worry.

"Don't worry," Asami whispered, scooting even closer to nibble at Korra's ear. "Hiro's fast asleep. Spirits, he's ten times better at sleeping than Yasu was on her best days."

"You mean 'is'," Korra corrected. Since Asami was kept busy with Hiroshi and what work she could manage so soon after giving birth, Korra had gotten to spend a lot of quality time with her oldest pup. Which she thoroughly enjoyed... except when Yasuko asked for story number five and refused to fall asleep.

But there were no pups to disturb them now. No noise came from within Hiroshi's crib, and the room adjoining theirs was silent. It seemed both of their children were still fast asleep.

"You really don't have to," Korra said, even as she twitched under Asami's hand. Even through the layer of fabric between them, she could feel the light trailing of Asami's fingers along her shaft. The petting became a squeeze, and Korra had to swallow back a groan.