"June Faye?"- [Chapter Two]

A/N: Just so y'all know, I've written very far ahead and this story is 30 pages on google docs, and I'm just reaching the point where June heads to the boarding school. So y'all are in for a long journey. Anyways, enjoy this chapter, that focuses on June taking her test. You learn more about the universe in this chapter. 

--

The inside of The Testing Building felt so professional. It was designed to look like some super-important business building, and the 'professional' aspect only made this whole thing seem more important to June.

When you entered, your feet landed on the black rectangle rug near the door, and the first thing you saw was a counter with a girl behind it. There were a few chairs, this was the main waiting room.

There were coloring books and kids toys scattered throughout, the bright colors contrasting against the white tile floor. It looked like a children's doctor's office.

There were also books and magazines, for all the non-littles, set on side tables and book shelves. Archer rested his hand of June's shoulder, leading her up to the front desk, where no one else was waiting.

It was early in the day, plus it was the end of the summer. Most kids took their tests way earlier, some know their labels the moment they come out of eighth grade. It was eerily silent, the first words to break the silence being those from the red-haired lady behind the counter.

"Hello, are you in for testing?" she questioned, looking to June. June looked up to Archer, biting at her lip again. He spoke for her.

"Yes, we scheduled 11:30 am for her testing time."

June's eyes caught a clock on the wall. It was 11:20. "Name?" the lady asked. This woman had light skin, and wore a lot of makeup. Not that it looked bad or anything, but the bright colors on her eyelids seemed to contrast against her boring uniform.

June seemed to be noticing every little detail about this place and the people in it, trying to focus on anything but her anxiety. For example, she noticed that the lady had a lot of pins decorating her shirt, besides just her nametag.

"June Faye." she heard her father's reply, tuning out the rest of the conversation, as she looked over the pins decorating the worker's shirt.

A Hufflepuff pin, a she/her pronoun one. A few disney characters decorated her shirt, in contrast with the emo band ones. Her name tag read 'Jamie Green'. June didn't really care about some random lady's decorative pins, she just needed a distraction.

She noticed the small pink, blue, and white pride flag pin last, before she snapped out of her daze and heard her father's words. "Just wait for ten minutes and your testing guide will be out. If you'd like to leave during testing, we will call you when she reaches the final stages." The lady, Jamie, spoke to June, then Archer. She must've been newly graduated, 18 or 19. She could've passed as a high school student, but June knew that they didn't employ high school students in testing buildings.

The jobs were to 'important'. Most littles didn't work either, there were special jobs for them if they wanted them. Mostly flexible ones. And caregivers could work anywhere, but like littles, they usually chose flexible jobs where they could stop and take a break at any point.

June looked to her dad, hoping he wouldn't leave. Yeah, he had to wait here, but she felt a little comforted knowing that he was in the same building, at the very least. Archer locked eyes with his daughter, making his decision very quickly.

He shook his head, "I'll wait here." he replied.

June and Archer took their seats on a little, two-seater couch. June bounced her leg, fidgeting with her hands and trying to take deep breaths. She usually wasn't this nervous, or fidgety. She was sassy, and tough, and strong.