Prologue

I walked through the park aimlessly until I reached the lake. It was almost midnight.

Feeling guilty of not being able to help my dearest friend, I sat on the corner of the shore and gazed over at the lake filled with peaceful ripples. It felt like each glittering diamonds of the lake was talking to the night. So calm was the atmosphere that it almost seemed to me like a direct contrast to my mood.

The night was beautiful with a mild breeze and when I dipped my toes in the water the warmth of it instantly made me feel better.

As the birds started to sing, adding to the peaceful atmosphere at the park, all I could think of was sleeping in this shore and gazing at the night sky filled with numerous stars looking back at me.

'I wish not to be called from my sleep by the clamorous choir of birds, by the riot of wind at the festival of morning light'

Beautiful words that fits the atmosphere perfectly.

I would have drifted off to sleep if it was not for Tabby. Tabby is the cat of this park who came meowing. She was blabbering and I felt as if she was complaining. I took her in my arm and placed ber on top of me as I laid down.

Her fur felt smooth under my palms. As she settled on top of my stomach I felt the night was complete.

I wish this time never ends. I wish it freezes and just carves me as a figurine of this never-ending portrait of a night.

Suddenly I heard heavy footsteps. Someone was running along the walking lane.

Turning around, I found some guys cornering a lean, tall man. Tabby ran from me. I felt her warmth go away, so was the shift in atmosphere.

I looked more closely and realised who the person was.

Oh my goodness!! That's Nooh.

My first instinct was to scream but my throat won't seem to open.

When I saw a guy among the group withdraw a knife and raised it as if going to aim at Nooh, my throat finally allowed me to do as I wish.

"NO!!!!" I screamed.

Everyone including Nooh looked at me and all but I ran to them as if to fight all of them single-handedly.

"Tsk tsk tsk, who is this little birdy over here," said the one who had a piercing on both his eyebrows.

Unaffected by his threat I walked faster to where they were.

Now it was time for Nooh to scream, "What the hell do you think you are doing El"

"Rescuing you," I said and saw the other guys laughing mockingly at us.

"NOT WITHOUT ME," said another voice coming to our aid.

Harry was running towards us.

"We were looking for you too moron.  Also your other three bastards. We will end you today", the eyebrow pierced one said looking directly at Harry as if he wanted to eat him alive.

"Look we can explain. Just hear us out." Harry said raising his hands.

That was the moment when I realised that I was the dumb one here without knowing anything about what these people are saying.

I was about to say 'what the hell is going on' when all of them started fighting.

Where are the guards of the park?

Nothing like this ever happened in our town.

My peaceful night turned into a hell of a nightmare when Nooh got a strike on his head and as he fell Harry looked helplessly at me and said: "run".

I didn't run.

Before everything went blank I heard gunfire and a distant scream of Harry.

I wish the time never freezes this way.

If the sound of his steps does not wake me, do not try to rouse me, I pray. I wish not to be called from my sleep by the clamorous choir of birds, by the riot of wind at the festival of morning light. Let me sleep undisturbed even if my lord comes of a sudden to my door.

And I saw an entirely different meaning of those words.

Time went away and I wished again to be alive. To go into an eternal painting of a peaceful night.