Page 189 - 192

Riiinnngggg...

Riiinnngggg...

Riiinnngggg...

"Demi get your phone!" Hazel moaned, covering her head with her pillow. 

I sat up, and realised my back was very stiff. 

Yeah, that's what you get for sleeping on the floor, genius.

I reached for my phone that had mom's face smiling at me and checked the time.

11:32

Damn!

I answered the call, "Mom?" 

"Where the hell are you, Demi? You didn't come home last night. Zack called to say you were staying at a friend's, then hung up. Do you have any idea how worried I was?!"

"Mom, calm down, I'm at Hazel and Maeve's. We just had a girl's night and I forgot to call. I'm sorry." 

"You're sorry? Are you sorry for disrespecting a teacher yesterday? Or about the fact that you ditched again even after you promised you wouldn't? Or...or saying you would have a meal with Jarred, then driving off without even an explanation? Or-" 

"I get it, mom," I rolled my eyes, "I'm sorry for all of those things, OK? Now will you chill?" 

She was quiet for a minute.

"Mom?" 

"You forgot, didn't you?" 

"Forget what, mom?" I am getting frustrated now. I just want to go back to sleep.

"It's the dress rehearsal. For the wedding." 

Double damn.

"I'll be right there," I said, then hung up before she could tell me not to even bother.

"What happened," asked Hazel, not even pretending she wasn't listening.

"I need you to get me home, then St. Johnston's church in less than five minutes."

"Done," she nodded.

"Wait, Haze, we don't have a car," Maeve warned as we started getting dressed.

I was still in Zack's hoodie, but couldn't bear to take it off. I decided it covers enough of my legs to be able to wear it today, though mom won't like it. Especially if it belongs to Zack. She's been quite annoyed with him lately, especially now that I'm spending over half my free time with him. She's probably thinking something's going on (is something going on?)

"That's OK. Dad's out of town and mom's at work, so we can take dad's Polo. They wont even know."

I looked at them, "I can use Zack's car."

They looked blankly back at me.

"About that, how did you manage to get it? That car's his baby. We've been trying to drive it since he got it, but none of us has even been behind the driver's seat."

"Oh he, um, gave it to me. The keys, he gave the keys to me."

Hazel pouted and Maeve said, "Well, anyway... Zack left last night. Drunk as hell. Finished all my dad's good liquor. I made him promise to replace it but-"

"Wait, he left without saying goodbye? And he was drunk? I don't understand."

"Demi, I told you he's a good guy. He's literally beating himself up for embarrassing you like that in front of a bunch of people. As he should, it was inexcusable. He knows he doesn't have to act all bad boy all the time, especially with his friends."