The Rope

I'm hanging on. But when will this rope break. There is no escape. As every second passes, the rope becomes weaker and weaker. I don't know how much time I have left. One day I hear a voice. " You seem like you need help." Echoed the voice.

"Who's there?" I asked.
"A friend." Said the ominous voice. But the way he said friend gave me the chills.

"What's your name?" I said.

"Death. Now let go and I promise your suffering will end. Your bound to come to me sooner or later. What difference will it make if you come to me now verses if you die 80 years from now? Nothing. That's what. You'll still be hanging there just waiting. I'm here to set you free."

Part of me wants to go to him but the other half wants to keep on fighting. He tries to convince me to let go. And that I'll be safe with him. But I just ignore him. When he finally leaves, I'm left in the cold and dark trench alone. Still hanging on. Thoughts start racing through my head and I start to wonder if anybody will come and help me. Could there's be someone at the top pulling the rope? Could I Just not feel the rope being tugged ? Then again, no one knows I'm stuck down here. Why would someone help me? I'm worthless. Nobody needs me. Theses thoughts pester me until Death comes back to convince me. I start to like his company and get a strong urge to go to him.

"You can finally be happy. You can be free." Says Death.

I hang there wondering if anybody would care if I died. Probably not. Death promises to catch me if I let go. He promises that no harm can reach me if I just let the rope go.
One day I closed my eyes, and I let go. The rope, my hopes, my fears. Everything. I fell but never hit the ground. The bottomless pit engulfed me. I just kept falling and falling. I lost track as to how long I fell. Days? Weeks? Months? I don't know. Then suddenly Death caught me in his strong arms just like he promised. He smiled and whispered," Foolish child. You could have made it out alive. Oh what a terrible mistake you made."

He was right I probably could have survived. I was strong when I let go. I was strong when he caught me.

There's no going back now.