I 04 I Bon Voyage

~*~

~*~

Alexander spent the rest of the summer holidays reading his school books. These were far from the mundane muggle textbooks involving maths or science – they were the entry to actual magic.

Apollo, his new owl, kept him company. Apollo swooped in and out of the open window, catching his food, much to Eliot's relief. He was a quiet owl who loved the attention he'd get when Alexander stroked him. His amber eyes were dark and soulful, and his ear-like tufts were reminiscent of a teddy bear.

Alexander was intrigued; the spell books had a vice-like grip on his mind, its reality began to distort his own, challenging the once normal facts of his existence, bringing him into a new turbulent realm where even his sense of self was continuously challenged. He mostly lay on his bed reading late into the night – without Grandfather's knowledge – or on his study desk.

Toward the end of August, Alexander had mostly read the books. He had learned the theory of the most basic spells; he realised that magic was far more complex than simply waving a wand around and saying the words – it was about intent and will. Magical Theory, in particular, gave a basic outline of how spells work. The book sought to demystify the practice of magic, covering topics such as what made spells work, energy transfer during spellcasting and the wand's role in channelling it. Alexander poured over these pages, recognising that the wand was simply a way to channel the magic – the real magic came from inside the witch or wizard.

Memorisation had never been his method of learning. It took quite a while for Alexander to grasp certain concepts as, though he could retain information quickly, he had to work hard to gain a fully rounded understanding.

The other books were fairly straightforward in recording the various types of spells that existed and their wand movements. Charms were mainly useful everyday spells that would be, Alexander wistfully remarked, beneficial in helping with chores or everyday activities. Transfiguration, however, appeared to be tricky. After Alexander finished the first Standard Book of Spells, Apollo set off for the first delivery. The letter was addressed to Flourish and Blotts and Alexander asked if whether the shop did owl-post delivery and, if so, whether he could order the next set of books. Apollo was excited as the letter was tied to his leg because he gave Alexander a gentle nudge.

To Alexander's surprise, other forms of magic required plants and potions. Though he was never much of a Gardener, the different types of plants documented in One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi caused him to second guess his interest. Potions seemed like much of it was similar to adhering to a recipe. Alexander didn't think he'd have too much trouble following a list of instructions as he and Eliot spent most time baking and cooking.

One thing he was disappointed to discover was that he couldn't practice the spells he had learnt. Alexander knew the theory side but performing was something he did not know. Grandfather informed him that students were not allowed to do magic outside of Hogwarts, not until Alexander was seventeen.