I 12 I Dragons

✎

I had some issues with the last chapter. It wasn't being published so hopefully it has now. Anyway, I hope two chapters together make up for it. Happy reading. 

~*~

The ferret's remark about his Grandfather and mother lingered in Alexander's mind during the next few days. It was hard to forget and every time he would focus on his homework or practise spells with Professor Flitwick, Malfoy's taunt echoed – one word especially: 'blood traitor.' He didn't know the full meaning of the word but had a slight inkling that Malfoy clearly hadn't meant it in a good sense. Malfoy had sort of spat it out as if it were a dirty word to be associated with.

Alexander picked up a book in the library, during one of his free periods, called Purebloods of British Wizarding Families and flicked through it as a way to satisfy his curiosity. The first few chapters didn't have much information on blood traitor; the book simply defined what it meant to be a Pureblood. It detailed family trees and, to Alexander's revulsion, he learnt that Purebloods nowadays frequently practised inbreeding to maintain the bloodline. He shivered at the horrifying notion and was eternally grateful that he would never be forced to marry any relative, not that he had any relatives apart from Grandfather. The book also had chapters dedicated to Half-bloods and Muggleborns.

Though the book was supposed to take an unbiased view, there was a slight tone of superiority, almost condescending-like, when it came to talking about muggles. Alexander checked who the author was and it turned out to be an old man who by now was in his eighties. Several pages before the end, his eye caught a mention of blood traitor. He leaned in to read:

"Blood traitor" is a disparaging term, commonly used by certain Pureblood witches and wizards, to describe those who sympathise with the muggles or willingly associate with other such sympathisers or with Muggleborns.

That was it. There was no other mention of the term in the book. Alexander's mind raced. So, he was right. Malfoy had meant the term in a derogatory way – the book confirmed it, albeit briefly. His mother was a blood traitor according to the ferret, meaning she associated with Muggleborns or muggles. Yet, that was a good thing, and Alexander felt proud that his mother had not discriminated against Muggleborns.

But his Grandfather apparently wasn't a blood traitor. Malfoy had suggested that his Grandfather was an elitist Pureblood, a concept that made Alexander's stomach churn unpleasantly. Malfoy must have been lying to get a rise out of him. Granted Grandfather was stern and temperate, but he played football – a muggle sport – with Alexander sometimes. He brought the dark-haired boy muggle toys and books as presents. Also, Grandfather worked with muggles and Muggleborns every day as well as other wizards and witches. His closest companion was Eliot for God's sake! A Squib. How could Grandfather have the same values and beliefs as Malfoy? Perhaps he didn't know Grandfather as well as he thought he did. He vowed to ascertain more information.