Costumes

We open the garage manually, trying to be as quiet as we can, hoping to catch the guy off surprise. If he’s even in there, that is.

I make everyone each take a ‘weapon’ in the garage. Baseball bats, batons, rusty frying pans, bicycle spokes, anything spiky and long that can potentially inflict pain upon a murderer.

“Brett, you do know that this situation’s a bit hopeless, right?” Jay wonders, trying to lighten up this dreary mood.

“You can never be too careful!” I poke his chest with my old drill team baton.

“Or too harmful.” He winces jokingly.

“Hehe.” Creeper laugh, courtesy of Brett Tenner.

“You know, I never got to say this but, you were pretty hot as drill captain.” He whispers huskily in my ear, making me push ‘creepy Jay’ away from me with a hot blush across my cheeks.

Sean and Broden groan in disgust while Mattie and Jade giggle.

We carefully push open the door, posing with our ridiculous weapons, ready for attack.

We sneak past the bathroom, I really doubt he’s gonna casually be in there, taking a dump. But Jay insisted. My stupid boyfriend.

Sigh. My boyfriend.

Annnnnyyyway.

We all scour the big portion of the house we call the living room and kitchen, carefully approaching corners and crevices which he may have implanted some evidence of  him being here, cuz I really doubt he’s actually hiding his grown man body somewhere in this small house.

Next is my room, it makes me shiver to think that a creepy guy like him may have visited my room.

The office/guest room consists of a twin size bed and a desk with a laptop. There’s a closet on the far wall with a dresser for any clothes or belongings someone may bring. It usually just holds Jay’s and Jade’s clothes for when they stay over. We would’ve put in Sean’s and Mattie’s things in there, if they brought anything with them.

I wonder what’s going on, in their time. If anyone’s missing them…

Broden’s room is the biggest. With a king sized bed all to himself. Which I think is good thinking, considering how many times I’d wake up to the thuds of his body hitting the floor. As you might guess, he moves around a lot in his sleep.

Dark hues of green and red adorn the walls and the furniture, reminding me of a rich person’s Christmas decorations. This includes his bed, which he claims to make every morning, but I know better. Jade comes over to tidy up occasionally cuz it drives her crazy. She must have been a house cleaner in her past life.

A window takes up the upper half of the far-side wall, looking out over the heart of the city, numerous shops and little ant people everywhere. Including our favorite donut and candy shop, we used to go every weekend when we were little, and the park with the bright yellow playground. The library’s where we were kicked out of, thanks to Jay, is about to close according to the light up billboard in front of it. The movie theater, and a whole bunch of places that hold a whole bunch more memories stand in front of us through the glass frame.

The costume shop.

My eyes zero in on the costume shop.

“We need to get costumes!” I screech, suddenly being aware of every Halloween sign posted out in the city.

“Halloween’s in less than a week!” I bounce up and down. Free candy this Saturday!

“Brett, do we really have the time?” Broden suddenly looks a lot older, more tired. I guess this has been weighing on him a lot. Of course, he’s gotten the news that his sister and best friend will be murdered in about 25 years.