Let Us In

“Go away!” an obviously terrified voice squeaks out from the other side of the door, knowing I could easily just kick it down by force.

“Henrik, there’s something I really need to tell you.”

“I’m not falling for it! Now, go away!”

“Henrik… I know this isn’t your family.”

“What are you talking about?” It’s hard to tell whether his voice has gotten higher at my accusation, or not. It’d be pretty hard…

“I know this isn’t your house. That your ‘home’ could change at any given time. That me picking on you hasn’t helped your situation at home. That your cautious, paranoid, sheltered, closed nature is because of me. That this unbecoming qualities made families give you up. They never got to know how smart you are, determined you are, hopeful you are, fun you are.”

“… Why should that make me want to let you in?”

“Because somehow, without you telling me, I know this about you.”

He opens the door with a curious look.

“You’re not here with Jade; you came on your own account?”

“Well, not exactly.” I beam up at Jay. He pulls me closer, letting me know how proud he is of me.

“So, what else do you know about me.”

“Nothing.”

He starts to close the door.

“Wait wait wait wait!! That doesn’t mean I have nothing I want to talk to you about. It’s something very important.”

“Well, I’m done with you, how do I know this isn’t another trick?”

“You’ll just have to trust me this once. Come on, truce?” I hold out my hand nervously.

“… No.”

I grit my teeth, catching an accusing look from Jay. I can tell by his amused expression that my eyes are just screaming ‘let me just pummel this kid already!’

“Let us in, please.”

He smiles, “You haven’t injured me in any way. I’m impressed, come inside… I guess.”

“Oh, trust me. I was this close to.” I push my way in.

“Sorry bud, she’s trying.” Jay shrugs and follows Henrik’s lead, unlike me.

“Ummm.” Henrik’s eyes wander around his own living room, waiting for me to speak.

“Here’s why I’m here. And It’s going to sound ridiculous. Like, really.” Jay nods beside me.

“Ok.” He acknowledges us to continue.

“Sean and Mattie are our kids.”

“What?” he says with a surprised face.

“From the future.” I assure him… I don’t think it worked.

“What?” he says this time with a deadpan ‘you have got to be joking’ face.

“Because you killed me and Jay.”

“That, I can believe.” He glares at me suspiciously.

“And then you killed Broden because he married Jade.”

“I can believe that too.” That kid. He doesn’t even defend himself.

“That man you talked about was you.”

“Woah, I talked to my future self?”

“Ok, now you’re just mocking me.”

“Well, yeah! Time traveling? Future kids? How is this topic even considered to be conversation worthy? I mean, this is crazy! And I already know you’re crazy.”

“Watch it, Henrik.” Jay squints at him.

“Henrik. I’m here to make amends. I’m not here to tell you that Jade will never love you, I’m not here to make fun of your squeaky voice or your scrawny…ness, I’m not here to steal your food. I’m just begging you to forgive me.”

“Ok… let’s just say this is real. You’re only here because you know that you know how your life’s going to end! You don’t actually feel sorry. You don’t actually want to be friends with me. You just want to make your life as good and long as possible. You’re being selfish.”

“Henrik.” I beg.

“Prove to me that you’re really sorry. Then, maybe.”

He ushers us out of his house and closes the door on us.

“Jay… now what?”