- chapter two. (evil vice principal)

· · ─────── · · ─────── · ·

[ EVAN ]

Dr. Thorn walked behind the four of us pushing at our backs, forcing us to walk.

Percy suddenly closed his eyes stopping in his tracks. It was almost like he wanted us to get killed.

"What are you doing, Jackson?" hissed Dr. Thorn. "Keep moving!"

He reopened his eyes and kept shuffling forward. "It's my shoulder, it burns."

"Bah! My poison causes pain. It will not kill you. Walk!"

He herded us outside, and into the woods. We took a snowy path dimly lit by old-fashioned lamplights. Percy stood next to me shivering and clutching his shoulder.

I kind of felt bad. "You alright?"

He turned to me nodding slowly. I don't know why I asked, because he definitely was not alright.

"There is a clearing ahead," Dr. Thorn said. "We will summon your ride."

"What ride?" Bianca demanded. "Where are you taking us?"

"Silence, you insufferable girl!"

"Don't talk to my sister that way," Nico said. His voice quivered, but I was surprised that he had the guts to say anything at all.

Dr. Thorn made a growling sound that wasn't human. It made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

The woods had opened up and Dr. Thorn pushed us toward the edge. Percy stumbled, but I caught him just in time.

"Thanks," He murmured.

"What is he?" Bianca whispered to him."How do we fight him?"

"I. . . I'm working on it."

"Very reassuring," I said under my breath.

"I'm scared," Nico mumbled. He was fiddling with the mythomaniac figurines that he always carried around.

"Stop talking!" Dr. Thorn said. "Face me!"

We turned. Thorn's two-tone eyes glittered hungrily. He pulled something from under his coat. A phone. He pressed the side button and said, "The package- is ready to deliver."

Percy glanced behind his shoulder quickly. He seemed like he was examining the water behind him.

Dr. Thorn laughed. "By all means, Son of Poseidon. Jump! There is the sea. Save yourself."

"Why does he keep calling you that?" Bianca muttered.

"I'll explain later," he said.

"You do have a plan, right?"

"I would kill you before you ever reached the water," Dr. Thorn said, "You do not realize who I am, do you?"

A flicker of movement behind him and another missile whistled so close to me that it nicked our ears.

Something had sprung up behind Dr. Thorn- like a catapult, but more flexible. . . almost like a tail.

"Unfortunately," Thorn said, "you are wanted alive, if possible. Otherwise, you would already be dead."

"Who wants us?" Bianca demanded. "Because if you think you'll get a ransom, you're wrong. We don't have any family. Nico and I. . ." Her voice broke a little. "We've got no one but each other."

"Oh, I've got one even better," I yelled with excitement. "I have absolutely no one!"

"Aww," Dr. Thorn said. "Do not worry, little brats. You will be meeting my employer soon enough. Then you will have a brand-new family."