Review: Realm Of Magic (I'm Calm Now)

Woo! A pack that isn't complete shit for once, let's go!

This pack comes with the world of Glimmerbrook. It's world description reads:

"The quiet town of Glimmerbrook may have more to it than meets the eye..."

The Magic Realm:

With this pack comes The Magic Realm and there are three ways to get there. Through the portal located in Glimmerbrook if your sim is human, a Glimmerstone to teleport you there if you're a spellcaster, or the transportalate spell which can also teleport you there.

The Magic Realm I have to say is incredible looking, it is gorgeous. Sure you won't spend a lot of time there, but for storytelling purposes and screenshots. Beautiful.

There are four locations in the magic realm, only one of which is a lot

There are four locations in the magic realm, only one of which is a lot. There's the training grounds, greenhouse, marketplace, and the main building which only has the title of "The Magic Realm".

You can find collectibles at the greenhouse, purchase tomes, familiars, wands, brooms and potion ingredients at the marketplace, duel sims in a battle for knowledge, or for heated reasons at the training grounds and the main building is where you can meet the sages.

The sages are sims with incredible knowledge in different types of magic, of which there are three. Practical, Mischief, and Untamed. There is also potions.

How To Become A Spellcaster:

To become a spellcaster you must ask one of the sages for mote sight. To be given the gift of magic you must collect seven of the motes in eight hours, which are glowing purplish orbs that will randomly appear around the realm. Once you collect them, report back to the sage and they will give you the gift of magic.

The Magic System:

You will now have a magic spell book with four different categories. Practical, Mischief, Untamed, and Potions. As you have your sim practice they will eventually level up in Spellcaster Perks. Perks can help spellcasters in different ways, like giving discounts, learning spells faster etc. There are different tiers of being a spellcaster, the higher level you are, the more perks you can unlock and the more spells you can learn.

There are three spells you can only learn from the sages, however you must be the highest rank in the magic system for them to teach you.

But be careful with magic, cause there are different types of curses your sim could end up with...

Also, don't use too much magic, as there is now a way to die by overload when your sim uses too much.

Familiars:

But you don't have to worry about dying if you have a familiar. Familiars are pets you can buy at the marketplace. There are 11 different kinds from a floating skull, a Phoenix, a fairy, one scary ass rabbit, and others. However, if those don't float your boat and you have the expansion pack Cats and Dogs, you can turn either your cat or dog into your familiar.

How the familiars works is as long as you have the familiar out, and your sim dies, they will make sure your sim doesn't die. They work like death flowers, giving your sim a pass. But you'll have to wait awhile before they can do it again.

Bloodlines:

One thing I didn't know, and thought was pretty cute is if you have in your family tree a long line of spellcasters, over time your sims will get a hidden trait. The longer the family tree goes on for with spellcasters, the better the trait will be. You unlock the bloodline trait.

It starts out as weak bloodline and goes all the way to ancient bloodline. All it does is give your sims discounts at the marketplace and lowers the chances of failures with spells.

So it's pretty useless, but it is a cute title to have for storytelling purposes. And your sim doesn't have to be a spellcaster to have it, just come from a long line of spellcasters.

Build and Buy:

The build and buy mode is interesting. The items are all witch themed so you won't use them a lot, but one of the items is glitched. It's a bookshelf, and when you try to place an item on it, it snaps like two tiles behind it. So beware of the bookshelf...

But the items themselves are pretty good.

Hidden Death

There is a hidden death which can only happen with cheats. It's death by Night Wraith. The Night Wraith is a sim who will be summoned when your sim is cursed with the Night Wraith curse. The NPC himself has a hidden trait called "Night Wraith" which makes him always sad and spooky looking.

If you cheat and give your sim the Night Wraith trait they will turn into a ghost and become sad. Only saying in the family tree, death by Night Wraith.

There's no death animation and it's really pointless, but y'all could probably find a use for it. I didn't know the Night Wraith was a thing cause my sims rarely ever get cursed.

Should you buy it?

Answer: Up To You

Like I said before it's not bad, you can use it quite a bit, build and buy is pretty good. For it's price, you're getting what you paid for. The only thing I'd say though is the spellcasters feel sort of cheaty? Like they can raise sims from the dead and turn them human again no problem if they're at the right rank, which isn't hard to get if you just grind for it. But overall, not bad. Probably one of the better packs in my opinion, but I like supernatural gameplay.