chapter 5

Allison

When Allie opened the door to the Common Room, she was slightly surprised to find Scarlett and Archie waiting for her. They swarmed her instantly, buzzing with questions.

"How was your date?"

"Are you going out for the team next year?"

"Did you fall?"

"Did you have fun?"

"Was he a good teacher?"

"Did you guys kiss?"

"Are you guys in love yet?"

Allie laughed. "You two are both mental. It wasn't a date, no, no, yes, yes, no, absolutely not."

Archie grabbed a curl. "Your hair looks,"

Scarlett finished his sentence. "Crazy."

Allie leaned away from Archie, trying to pat it down. "I know. Scar, I need your help upstairs to try and tame it. Archie, I'll answer the rest of your questions on the way to Astronomy."

The boy shut his open mouth and huffed. The girls grinned at him before making their way up the stairs to their dorm.

Allie went immediately to the shower, tossing her hairbrush out to Scarlett before closing the bathroom door. When she was finished, she sat down in her desk chair.

When they were first years, Allie had offhandedly mentioned that her mother never had time to help her with her hair because she had to work so often in order to pay the bills. From then on, Scarlett would ask Allie if she could do her hair for her. She insisted it was because she loved to do hair, but Allie knew that Scarlett just wanted to make her feel special. Since then, it had become a sort of tradition between them. Whenever one of them was struggling, the other would do their hair and listen to their rants. This was one thing Allie loved about Scarlett. Of course, with Allie's crazy head of blonde curls, Scarlett's help was sometimes more than just a thoughtful gesture.

Scarlett stood behind her friend, beginning to work a brush through her wet hair.

"How did you manage this amount of destruction? You must've been going a hundred miles an hour." Allie laughed.

"I wasn't. James was."

Scarlett eyed her in the mirror. "And that messed up your hair because..."

Allie sighed. "Because I was on the broom with him?"

Scarlett's eyes widened, but with a decent amount of effort she kept her mouth shut. Allie noticed and made a face.

"I know, I know. I have no idea how I let that happen either. Honestly I think I was high off of adrenaline. It was pretty fun, now I have an idea of why you love it so much." Scarlett smiled.

"I'm surprised you had such a good time. You said you didn't even want to go." Allie rolled her eyes.

"Well, I was just nervous. You know I'm a perfectionist, I didn't want to make a fool of myself. Especially in front of James. He would never let me live it down."

Scarlett had finished detangling Allie's hair and cast a drying spell slowly so it wouldn't puff up.

"Well it sounds like you two are finally getting along. That's a relief, with the way you were talking about him last week I thought your project might end in flames." Allie stood up.

"He's different than I thought he was going to be. He got so excited when he was talking about quidditch. He's like a passionate little dork."

Scarlett made a noise like she was dying and Allie looked over.