2

Avery smiled against Robby Keene's lips, feeling his hands go up the back of her shirt

Avery smiled against Robby Keene's lips, feeling his hands go up the back of her shirt. She softly threaded her hand through the boy's hair, pressing her lips to his.

"Robby Keene to the office—"

Avery scoffed, pulling away as her annoyed eyes met the boy's.

"You're kidding?"

"Not my fault," he frowned as the girl lightly shoved him backward, moving her hand to the closet door. But she paused, turning back to him and pressing a quick kiss to his lips.

"Remember—"

"Not dating."

"Not dating," she echoed with a smile, straightening her clothes before exiting the janitor's closet.

She didn't miss the new guy, Miguel, Aurora had told her, and Eli watching her as she left, Robby close behind.

Avery merely gave them a smile, her heels echoing against the tile even over the loud chatter of students.

"Mr. LaRusso," Abel knocked on the door softly, a towel slung over his shoulder as he did so.

"Abe, come on, it's Daniel. Come on in." The man gave a smile, standing from his desk to stand in front of it. "Woah—" the LaRusso furrowed his eyebrows at the dark circles under the boy's eyes. "You all right, Abel?"

"Yeah, just," he sighed quietly. "Yeah, the girls' cellphones almost got cut off so I had to go job hunting for a while last night."

"Abel, I told you I wouldn't mind helping out with that—"

"With all due respect, boss. I really don't want a hand out, you know?" Abe rubbed his lips together. "My father didn't raise me that way."

"A hand out, and good help are different." Daniel moved behind his desk, pulling out a check and writing down a number. "Please, Abel. Just this once."

The Kove boy shook his head stiffly, pressing the towel to his mouth to try and bite back tears. God, Abel would rather do anything than have someone see him cry, especially his boss.

"Thank you."

"How about you and the girls come over for dinner sometime? Sam says she hardly gets to see Avery anymore outside of class."

"Mr. LaRusso—"

"Also, that's your salary from now on."

Abe gaped between the check and Daniel, shaking his head in protest.

"Mr. LaRusso, I just clean the cars, I don't—"

"Abel, no arguing with the boss. Quit the old diner job. Dinner this week, with Avery and Aurora." Daniel offered a smile, seeing Abe looked far more relaxed than when he had entered the room.