5. In Bed

"So who is he?" Lauren asked; her bottom lip caught between her teeth as her eyes trailed after Luke who had just walked out of The Bookstore after annoyingly announcing, in front of everyone, that he would see me at six. What made it worse was that it wasn't even a statement. It wasn't a confident, 'I'll see you at six,' with a slight nod and small smirk that I would expect Luke to do. No, he bit his lip, glanced around nervously before looking down at me, 'I'll see you at six . . . right?' he had asked with flushed cheeks. He caught everyone in the damn stores attention and he had done it (as embarrassing as it is to say, but really there's no other way to put it) so . . . cutely.

            "He is none of your business," I said turning away and clocking in really quick before walking behind the desk.

            "Oh, c'mon," Lauren said trailing after me. "Just tell me." Lauren and I have been working together for nearly two years now. She was twenty-two, blonde and green-eyed, going to community college and miserable as far as she tells me. She was one of those girls who thinks the idea of a soul mate is wonderful and when she finally does find her soul mate he's going to be some handsome rich foreign man who's going to take her to like France or something. I nearly know every little thing about this woman because, instead of working, she rants about everything from her 'weird' looking toes to her horrible relationship with her mother. And, to be truthful, I could barely stand her some days. "Is he your cousin? Friend of yours; friend of your brothers? Could you introduce me? Omg, what if he's my soul mate?"

            "Lauren would you just—please shut up," I said closing my eyes and rubbing my temple as I felt a headache coming on.

            "I'm serious," she said, pulling out the rolling chair beside me and sitting down on it. When I didn't look at her she grabbed my chair and turned it to face her. "What if he's like, legit my soul mate? I'm pretty, right? So I deserve someone as hot as him." She closed her eyes and bit her bottom lip. "Oh, God, everything about him is so perfectly shaped; he could be a model. I hope he's my soul mate."

            "He's not," I said. It was only after I said it that I realized how mean it sounded coming out of my mouth.

            "Well, we don't know that, silly," she said smiling slightly.

            Again, I didn't know what came over me or why I felt the sudden urge to make sure that she fucking realized that he would never be hers. "He's not your soul mate because he's mine," I said defensively. When I saw the look on her face I realized I was glaring. I looked away from her and went back to the computer. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

            It was silent for a moment until she said, "Christian, I'm sorry. I was only joking."

            "No, it's okay," I said shaking my head. "I don't know why I acted like that, sorry."

            Out of the corner of my eye I saw her nod before she got up, tucked in the chair, and walked away. After that I worked quickly, trying to understand my sudden feelings of possessiveness.

            It was nearly 5:30 now and I had finished four hours' worth of work in two hours. My mind was still reeling with thoughts of him and emotions I had never cared to feel were crawling their way up to the surface. My heart was racing and I was almost sitting at the edge of my seat with anticipation, not able to wait the half hour until he got here. My thoughts flashed back to the article and that was the only explanation that I could think for these feelings . . . because why else would I want to see his face so badly?