chapter 19

Ira

Getting called to the principal's office was never a good thing but as someone trying to avoid attention like the plague, hearing my name over the PA system just before the last bell was its own brand of torture. Thankfully, my walk of shame was a short one and as it turned out I wasn't the only one in trouble. A few minutes after the nice lady at the desk who was all smiles and "have a piece of candy" told me to take a seat, River strolled in.

"Brenda!"

River went right to the front desk and didn't hold back at all. With the smile he gave her, you would have thought seeing her had just made his day. Leaning on his arms, River rubbed his hands together and gave Brenda a vary inappropriate once over.

"How's that new gym routine working out for ya? You look like you lost weight."

"Nice try but whatever trouble you got yourself into I'm not getting you out."

I guess she wasn't falling for it, but River straightened and clutched at his heart with both hands.

"Ack! you wound me. Do I really look like someone who would hand out disingenuous compliments just to gain someone's favor?

"Very impressive, Mr. Orman, you learned something" she stood and gave him a pat on the cheek as she headed over to the principal's door.
"But it'll take more than some fancy words to get anything out of me."

"Oh, come on. I looked that one up just for you."

Brenda just rolled her eyes and knocked on the door before poking her head in to inform principal Wagner that the students she wanted to see were here before returning to her desk. Giving up on trying to weasel his way out of trouble River turned to take a seat. His eyebrows spike up when he finally noticed me, and his charm turned to amused curiosity.

"As I live and breathe it's really true? Ira Carvalho called to the offices, what on earth did you do?"

I shrugged. "Who knows. You?"

"Hmm, haven't done any weed in a while so it can't be that." He plopped down on the seat next to me, slouching down with legs stretched out. "Maybe Coach has got another bone to pick."

We were quiet for a moment as he fidgeted before he spoke again.

"Sorry about earlier by the way."

Surprised I blinked at him. River wasn't the apologetic type. In fact, the only time I'd ever heard that word from him it came with far too much sarcasm to be genuine but now guilt dipped off his aura like heavy tears.

"If there's any way I can make it up to you..."

I shook my head at him. "it's fine, you don't need to do anything."

"Please, don't be one of those people." he groaned. "I feel bad enough. Let me take you to the ball or something."

I cringed.

"Seriously River, I don't need your pity."

He opened his mouth no doubt to deny it but just then the principal's door opened, and Teresa sauntered out followed closely by principal Wagner who looked every bit the part with her suit, pinup, and glasses. Teres smirked at River making him sit up and let out a long stream of curses as she passed him on her way out of the front office.

"Mr. Orman!" principal Wagner admonished "I will not have you using that sort of language in my office."

"What are you going to do" he snarked "suspend me? But then oh no, I'm a teenage delinquent not in school, whatever will I do with all that extra time on my hands?"