Chapter 6

Uriel

Another bar, what was it about them that people found so appealing Uriel wondered. Maybe it was the copious amounts of alcohol, but as someone who found it physically impossible to get drunk, he wouldn't know. Perhaps if they weren't so offensive to his senses, he could enjoy his visits to such establishments. They had so many patrons with weak minds after all and weak minds meant loose power free for the taking.

This one was cleaner than most but already the smell of spilled beer and sweat assaulted his nose. He was tempted to leave but the reason for today's visit sat at the counter talking to a fairly inebriated companion. From his place at the back-corner table, Uriel watched the comings and goings of Jerry's Bar and grill. It took some time before the inebriated companion stumbled out. When he was gone Uriel stood and approached the counter.

"Vodka," he told the pretty bartender as he slid into the recently vacated seat.

"Uriel." His neighbor said in greeting.

"Rune." He replied accepting the drink placed in front of him.

Both men were quiet for a time simply enjoying their beverages.

It was during this quiet that the man, Uriel, felt the disturbance. The beast hissed at the mind attempting to prob and he struck out, grabbing hold of the intruder. Beside him, Rune was suddenly very still.

"You know when I got your call, I thought maybe I should go to the cute little house where you keep that pretty girl of yours" he finished off his drink and gestured for another. "But then being a new mother can be so exhausting especially when your... what do they call them, baby daddy?... is so..." he gestured to Rune's face where a glamor hid the hard-red ridges forming on one cheek and inky blackness that covered his eye "...special. I thought I'd her a curtesy and meet you here instead."

Rune's flare of panic was brief but only because the beast consumed it before he could feel the full impact of Uriel's words. His mind strained against Uriel, pulling power from the ancient shell he wore on a leather band around his wrist, but Uriel's hold was ironclad.

"I expect you called me for a reason."

A job.

Rune did not speak but Uriel heard his thoughts clearly.

"The client?"

The bartender gave them curious look.

A collector.

Victoria? Uriel asked, speaking into Rune's mind.

Rune shuddered and Beast tried squeezing its way in, but Uriel shoved it back. It wouldn't do to have the beast eating away at Rune, not when he was such a useful informant. Uriel smiled at the bartender. she rolled her eyes and went back to minding her own business.

Yes.

Uriel stood and tossed back his last shot.

"I'll make sure you get your cut." He told Rune and made as if to leave, but paused to say silently "and a little word of advice; don't go poking around where you're not wanted"

He patted Rune's shoulder and exited the bar but did not release his mind until after he crossed the street.

As a younger city, there were few trees or plants of any kind to be found here, so it took Uriel some time to reach the city's outer limits. He could have taken a cab but after tasting Rune's mind the beast was a little too edgy for him to risk being in close quarters with another. At least on the streets, there were enough people to distract the Beast from focusing on any one person.

The first tree he came across was too small and sick for his needs, but he stopped anyway. The same corruption that infected so much of the world had been seeded in this tiny oak. It boasted a brilliant rainbow of leaves and several bundles of acorns despite barely being shorter than him. It was too young and aging too quickly. It could not send him where he wanted to go but perhaps, he could heal some of the sickness growing inside it.

Running a hand over the leaves of the tree, he called on the beast.

While it was always hungry, the beast was also powerful and a part of it craved this giving. He had to dig past the beast's need to take to find the hidden want, but it was there. Drawing on that craving he let his power flow into the flora. The leaves beneath his hand soaked the power in and with a shudder they browned, curled, and along with acorns snapped off. New leaves budded and unfurled, their color a proper green, as the tree's roots released the concrete they had been feeding on and dug deeper to sink into rich soil. The tree branches bent toward him as if seeking the sun, but he pulled away breaking their connection. The rest of its healing would take time.

The beast was almost reverent when he released the connection.

still hungry.

but quiet.

Crouching he collected the fallen acorns and continued on his way until he came to another tree. This one was a thriving willow, strong with deep roots, and when he touched its bark, it was able and willing.

With a satisfied smile, he stepped into the tree.