Chapter 12

Uriel

Aldric Harrington, as far as the world was concerned, was a hero. Over a career of twenty years, he had built hundreds of orphanages across the globe, his foundation Pave the Way had placed thousands of children with loving families and funded private tutoring for all its kids who were committed to graduating. Whenever there was a natural disaster, they were always the first to the site. Dedicated to searching for and reuniting as many families as they could, they supplied food, shelter, and care for children who had not yet been claimed.

To fund their charitable works the Foundation hosted a Gala every year. One of the most exclusive events of society, only those of notable wealth and influence were invited to the night of entertainment and more importantly a chance to outdo each other. As a result, millions of dollars were put into helping the youth of today. As usual, it took place on the day of Awakening as part of the celebration of life; unlike usual it would not end in celebration.

"May I now present to you one of the most giving people I know." The master of the ceremony said finishing his vary inspired opening speech "Ladies and gentlemen, Aldric Harrington."

A thunder of applause ensued as the man himself appeared on stage.

"Thank you, thank you" he gestured for the audience to settle and they acquiesced quickly. "Old friends and new acquaintances, it is such an honor to have you all here tonight. This foundation has been a part of helping over twenty thousand children in this past year alone and with your help, I hope we can help even more in these coming months."

As Aldric continued his speech Uriel studied the man's practiced movements and carefully constructed expressions. Even from his vantage point at the back of the room, Uriel could smell the glamour twisted into his words making them real and genuine where their speaker was not. Uriel sent a suggestion to the man passionately professing the good deeds of his people and waited for him to react. Uriel's eyes did not see past Aldric's glamor, but he knew the suggestion had worked when the beast began to howl with excitement.

If anyone in attendance had truly cared for Aldric perhaps they would have noticed the signs but being hot and sweaty was nothing new and easily concealed by the glamor masking his skinless body. Everyone stumbles over a word or two during a big speech and shaky hands often make appearances, but when Aldric stopped speaking altogether the rapt audience became aware that something was very wrong. Wide eyes searched the gathering and Uriel waited for Aldric to find him in the shadows.

When their eyes locked Aldric's heart stopped beating.

Uriel could almost feel it pulsating in his hands as if he held the failing organ while it struggled to pump vital blood and oxygen to the rest of the body. His own sped up, spurred on by the beast's wild glee at the sudden influx of power. Weak from lack of oxygen Aldric's legs gave out and the crowd gasped, standing in shock but unsure how to help. Security and staff swarmed the podium hoping to provide aid but there was nothing they could do. And still, Uriel held Aldric's gaze even as his brain slowly shut down. Aldric for his part did not know who stood hidden in the shadows, only that they were the one doing this to him. But just before all thought was lost a voice not his own spoke inside his head.

"For all the ones you saved" it mocked and Aldric knew why; the deaths that had once bought his youth had now come to claim him.

Then he died and only the mage sensed the great power that swept through the room to claim his death flare. Too busy trying to find the source of such power none noticed when it walked out the door.

None that is beside one.

"That was quite the performance."

Uriel stopped in the middle of the auditorium foyer but did not turn around. He heard the other mage approach, and her voice was carried easily across the room.

"I'm called python." She said by way of introduction.

it was not the name her mother had given her, but it was the one she'd earned within her master's ranks and she carried it with pride. Uriel thought, with some amusement, "lioness" would have been more apt as she circled around him so she could see his face. His glamor showed her a young blond. Almost annoyingly pretty and he was American of course. They always had had an obnoxious lack of respect, a fact Python found particularly irksome, and this one was no different. His relaxed posture made him seem harmless, but she knew better than to let her guard down.

"I've heard so much about you. I'll admit I didn't believe it but now... I'm impressed."

"I aim to please." He said, tilting his head in a mock bow.

"Why him?" She asked.

"I have my reasons." was his easy response.

"So, I hear..." The Light shining on her bald head and the rich green of her gown made the dark mocha of her skin seem almost black. "Do those reasons have anything to do with the one who branded you?"

For a moment Uriel almost believed she could see past his glamor, and it took some effort not to react. but no, she wouldn't be able to sense the binding inscribed on his wrist. She would however believe he had one. How else could the king control him, it wasn't like Uriel would serve him willing. Except that Uriel did, it just wasn't a fact he made others privy to. After all, it was much easier to weed out traitors when they thought you were one of their own.

"If they do, what is it to you?"

"Nothing." she shrugged nonchalantly drawing Uriel's eyes to the choker of teeth around her neck. "But I wonder what he thinks of your bargaining." Uriel didn't answer, only watched Python with disinterest and she quickly switched tactics. "What would it cost to hire you myself?"

"Depends on what you want me to do and what it's worth to you."

"I see." She contemplated him for a long moment. "And how would I reach you?"

"Give me a call and I might answer" he smirked.

Annoyance flickered but Python didn't show it. A mage's power did not play well with electricity, so he was no more likely to pick up than she was to call.

"Well then, it was an honor to meet you." She said with only a hint of edge.

He gave her a slight smile and another tilt of the head in Farwell.

"Wish I could say the same."