Chapter 9- The Beach Boardwalk

Before I could process what was happening it was Friday night. I had been so piled up with homework I had hardly any time to do anything except homework (not to mention putting in applications to get a job) and the only person I'd seen outside of school was Con.

That boy was persistent, but he was helpful to have around since he was in three of my classes.

Kyle and I had plans to hang out on Saturday, and I was glad since I had hardly talked to him at all the past week (stupid school system). We were going to go down to the boardwalk for a while. One of the perks of living in Florida, the boardwalk was open (almost) all year round, so the fact that we were almost half way through the month of September made no difference.

I had just finished my homework around eight when my phone rang. I reached over and grabbed my phone to see Con was calling me. I quickly slid to answer. "Hello?"

"Hey."

"Hi. What's up?"

"I'm boooooooored!"

I smiled and leaned back against my headboard. "You're in my backyard, aren't you?" Every time Con calls me to tell me he's bored he's already got something elaborate planned out, or he just wants to hang out, and it usually involves me meeting him in the backyard.

"Pfft. Noooo... Why would you say that?" He attempted to deny.

I shook my head and stood up, slipping on my vans and grabbing my leather jacket to pull on over my tank top. "Oh I don't know, I mean, I don't know my best friends tendencies at all."

"Okay I am not that predictable Mil."

I raised my eyebrows, even though he couldn't see me as I hopped onto the banister of the stairs and slid down. "Really?"

"Really."

I rounded the corner at the bottom of the stairs and strode over to the sliding glass door. Con was standing in the middle of the backyard in basketball shorts and a t-shirt, staring up at my window with a slight smile on his face. I jammed my hand in my shorts pocket and stood there for a moment, trying to decode his face. He looked... Happy. A wave of puzzlement passed over his face a moment later. "Mil?" He questioned into the mouthpiece.

I shook my head to clear it. "Sorry, I'm here," I clicked the lock and pulled the door open, smirking when Con whipped his head around to see me standing there.

He clicked our call off and I closed the door behind me, crossing the grass to meet him. "Hey."

"How did you know I was out here?"

I rolled my eyes and sat down before I sprawled out on the ground, gazing up at Con. "It's really not that hard to know what your Bestfriend is going to do when you've known them for ten years," I shook my charm bracelet on my wrist to remind him.

He gave me a half smile and tapped my arm lightly with his sneaker. I tapped the top of his sneaker with my fingers. A silence fell over us then, and Con laid down beside me. After a few moments I rolled towards him.

"So you were bored?"

He groaned, covering his eyes with his arms. "So incredibly bored I thought I could've laid down and died."

"Are you still bored?"

He removed his arms from his face and gave me a weird look that dissolved into a soft one. Gently, he reached out and brushed a few tendrils of hair out of my face. "I could never be bored when you're around."

I beamed at him. "Well I see why you called me then, but let me give you an actual reason to not be bored anymore," I pulled my legs into a crisscross position and started our evasive maneuvers against boredom.