Chapter Nine: Emotions.

Potions had always been her least favourite subject, but that was mostly because of Snape. She was curious about how different it'd be with a new teacher.

"Guys," Ernie shook their hands, "didn't get a chance to speak in Defense Against the Dark Arts this morning. Good lesson, I thought, but Shield Charms are old hat, of course, for us old D.A. lags... And how are you, Ron — Hermione?"

Mel looked down at the potion in front of her. A stream of familiar scents hit her, she could barely make out what they were.

"Now then, now then, now then," Slughorn said happily. "Scales out, everyone, and potion kits, and don't forget your copies of Advanced Potion-Making..."

"Sir?" said Harry.

"Harry, m'boy?"

"I haven't got a book or scales or anything — nor's Ron — we didn't realize we'd be able to do the N.E.W.T., you see —" 

"Ah, yes, Professor McGonagall did mention... not to worry, my dear boy, not to worry at all. You can use ingredients from the store cupboard today, and I'm sure we can lend you some scales, and we've got a small stock of old books here, they'll do until you can write to Flourish and Blotts..."

He walked up to a closet and pulled out two battered books from it, once he handed them to Ron and Harry, he continued.

"Now then, I've prepared a few potions for you to have a look at, just out of interest, you know. These are the kind of thing you ought to be able to make after completing your N.E.W.T.s. You ought to have heard of 'em, even if you haven't made 'em yet. Anyone tell me what this one is?"

Naturally, Hermione's hand rose right away.

"It's Veritaserum, a colorless, odorless potion that forces the drinker to tell the truth." 

"Very good, very good! Now, this one here is pretty well known... Featured in a few Ministry leaflets lately too... Who can — ?"

Mel and Hermione's hands rose once more, no one was surprised about this, and this time Hermione lowered hers and allowed Mel to answer.

"Polyjuice Potion," She replied.

"Excellent, excellent! Now, this one here... yes, my dear?" Slughorn blinked, shocked at the speed Hermione had lifted her hand again.

"It's Amortentia!"

Mel's foot slipped from the stool, she was blushing.

"It is indeed," Slughorn raised his eyebrows. "It seems almost foolish to ask, but I assume you know what it does?" 

"It's the most powerful love potion in the world!" 

"Quite right! You recognized it, I suppose, by its distinctive mother-of-pearl sheen?"

"And the steam rising in characteristic spirals, and it's supposed to smell differently to each of us, according to what attracts us, and I can smell freshly mown grass and new parchment and —"

Hermione stopped talking but Mel didn't notice, she was trying to cover her nose and look away so she could avoid smelling the liquid.

"May I ask your name, my dear?" said Slughorn.

"Hermione Granger, sir." 

"Granger? Granger? Can you possibly be related to Hector Dagworth-Granger, who founded the Most Extraordinary Society of Potioneers?"

"No, I don't think so, sir. I'm Muggle-born, you see."

"Oho!" Slughorn exclaimed, he turned to Harry. "'One of our best friends is Muggle-born, and she's the best in our year!' I'm assuming this is the very friend of whom you spoke, Harry?"