Chapter Ten: New Partners.

Gellert Grindelwald used to be just another name slightly related to her family, she didn't know how relevant he'd been in her uncle's life. 

It was obvious now, why he'd rejected the Minister position and why he'd never talked about it until then. Resentment had been part of her family for ages, and even her own dad had refused to contact his father after graduating. There was some sort of repetitive patterns within them that caused the Dumbledores to always be tightly attached to terrible fates. 

Her uncle had met Grindelwald while still young and rash. They developed a strong friendship, Dumbledore fell in love, and he dreamed big. Both boys were ambitious, and Dumbledore's resentment towards life caused him to inch closer to a dark place. 

She was just as hungry for knowledge, just as ready to make justice by her own hand all to help her first love. Hadn't she tried to kill last June? She was free to choose and be Harry's backup, but she had to be sure this position would not turn out to be beneficial for Voldermort in case Harry were to die. 

"I'm trying to help you by telling you about me," Dumbledore concluded. "I believe that this way, time will help you accept it and learn what none of us managed to do: move on. Your outbursts are being less and less frequent, and your mistakes have been nowhere as big as mine. You have one last chance to stop before it's too late."

"But my lessons with you are over..."

"They're not over," He showed the smallest of smiles. "You forget I made a promise to you. I'll help you become an animagus. The preparation is tiring and it takes months to get done, but it's a very particular kind of magic. You're creating a second life within yourself, if we are lucky, your transformation will give you a new perspective of things."

"Yes," She said quietly. 

"I know informing you about my condition has taken you by surprise, but there are things we simply cannot control. The sooner you understand this, the better. Fears can change, life cannot."

"All I wanted was to protect my loved ones," She shook her head. "Do you think it'd be better if I just stop trying?"

"Dear girl," He guided her to the door. "This isn't about sedating your feelings, it's about keeping your humanity intact, which is quite the opposite."

Mel walked out of the office and carried on with her week as usual, just like Dumbledore asked. She kept her mind busy, one slip could cause immense damage to her progress. Her magic was already being affected by it, she was having trouble casting nonverbal spells, and she was on the verge of having panic attacks constantly. All she could think of was the corpses of her loved ones, and how close she was to see that for real this time.

Harry and her continued using the Prince's instructions in potions, much to Hermione and Ron's dismay. Erick continued to eat almost every meal with them, but he never mentioned having problems like the first week, which was an improvement. Mel continued reading animagus theory, that without mentioning the extended work from every other subject she was taking. 

When Saturday finally came around she still hadn't told anything to Harry, she couldn't. The girl had a hard time keeping her heartbeat steady. It was difficult not to lie to the boy when he had a direct connection to her mind. 

"Come in," said Dumbledore as soon as they reached his office.

"Good evening, sir," Harry responded quietly.

"Ah, good evening, children. Sit down. I hope you've had an enjoyable first week back at school?" 

"Yes, thanks, sir."

"It was okay," Mel said shortly.

"You must have been busy, a detention under your belt already!" The old man said to Harry.