171-180

Chapter 171 – Watermelon Shop

Madam Hu didn’t say anything at this time. She was somewhat interested in the idea until she heard that a cart of watermelons cost over fifty taels. If they couldn’t sell them, how many years would it take for them to repay the debt?

“Second Maternal Uncle, don’t worry about the cart! We’re going to buy a horse carriage, so you can borrow our donkey cart! It just depends on whether you guys have the courage to do this!” Yu Xiaocao also wanted to help her maternal grandmother’s family. She had already made herself very clear. If her maternal uncles couldn’t make up their minds, then there’s nothing that she could do.

While Liu Han was still hesitating, Madam Hu’s eyes shifted around and she whispered, “Husband, should we… work together with Eldest Brother-in-law?” In this way, they could share the risk with someone. If they needed to repay the money, there would be less pressure with two branches of the family.

Liu Han, who couldn’t make a decision, also felt that he should ask for his eldest brother’s opinion. ‘It just so happens that Eldest Brother took Zhiwei to work at the docks today. I can discuss this matter with him when I see him later!’

“Miss Yu, I brought you the horse carriage!!” Qian Xiaoduo drove a horse carriage over with an unfamiliar worker. Seeing that everyone was busy in the watermelon fields, he didn’t treat himself as an outsider and helped them load the watermelons onto the carriage.

They had already signed a supply contract with Zhenxiu Restaurant. Madam Liu saw that Qian Xiaoduo and other staff had come over on two carriages. The brand-new one was for their family, while the other one was for buying watermelons!

“Little brother Qian, how many watermelons do you guys want?” Madam Liu took the scale and asked Qian Xiaoduo with a kind smile.

Qian Xiaoduo said sweetly, “Auntie, just leave it! How can I bother you to weigh such heavy watermelons ah?! Little Haozi, you go help Auntie carry the scale!”

Little Haozi? Yu Xiaocao looked at the thin and small teenager and had a hard time suppressing her laughter. Little Haozi’s face flushed and muttered, “My name is Niu Hao. It’s the hao from the word vast, not the hao from the word mouse!”

Qian Xiaoduo snickered and said, “Haha! Stop explaining and get to work. After weighing the watermelons, we still need to gather the vegetables!”

It was the first day of Zhenxiu Restaurant’s free fruit tray event. They weren’t sure if the reactions would be good, so they only bought two hundred catties of watermelons. They still purchased the usual amount of vegetables, filling the carriage to the brim.

Yu Hai picked out all the ripe watermelons in the fields and filled a horse carriage and donkey cart with them. Xiaocao drove the donkey cart, while he steered the horse carriage. The father-daughter pair followed Zhenxiu Restaurant’s carriage and headed to town unhurriedly.

Fang Zizhen was currently in the store in town and preparing for the grand opening tomorrow. In fact, Yu Xiaocao didn’t plan to operate this store for a long time. Thus, it was furnished very simply. The signboard of ‘Tanggu Watermelon Shop’ had already been hung above the entrance of the store, but it was covered by a red cloth at this time. Inside the shop, there were custom-made wooden shelves with wooden planks nailed all around the racks to ensure that the watermelons wouldn’t fall off the shelves.

The storefront next door had already been rented out. ‘Splendid Brocades Manor’ was a store that sold high quality fabrics such as silks and satins. At this time, the owner of Splendid Brocades Manor and several noble customers looked at the shop next door from time to time.