Chapter 14

Hazel’s POV

“Let me go, ngggh.” I choked, struggling against his hold. “Come on, Tyler. Stop being childish.”

“I can’t breathe.” It doesn’t seem like he is going to let go of me any sooner. “Tyler, please. This feels like I’m constantly ramming myself into a steel wall.”

“Nnn, no, I don’t wunna.” He whined.

“Tyler, please, just for a little while? Nothing is going to go through this thick skull of mine if you’re going to act like this.” I pleaded, repeatedly slapping his back.

He reluctantly loosen his grip while I took my chance to gently but firmly push him off.

To be a hundred percent honest right now, I have no idea how to feel. I’m sad, but I’m not sad. I’m angry, but not angry at all. I just wanna lie down in a corner, probably rotting while I watch algaes grow on me. I’m kidding, I don’t want that actually.

I sighed, “Let me retrieve my bag.”

“…”

“You’re just gonna go to Rei.” He sucked in a deep breath, his fingers hooking onto the material of my jersey.

“I will not! I will not, okay?” I raised my voice slightly to sound a little more intimidating.

***

The weather appears to be unusually hot, or is my body the burning one? My jersey seems to be sickly sticking onto my body and my nails are digging deeply into my palms.

Quickly, I stole a glance at the demon beside me. He looks so scruffy after a day at school. Still hot though.

“Where are we going now?” I asked awkwardly. I actually promised to stay with him, what am I doing to myself?

I thought he isn’t going to answer me when he said, “The beach.”

The beach?

***

My fingers loosen itself before my shoes dropped onto the pile of white, allowing some of the mineral grains to burst into the air gracefully. With a slight tickle to my nose, a sneeze came along with it. I shielded my face against the chilly wind that is trying to bite my face off while the fresh smell of the sea came trudging into my nose and the seagulls above my head are turning round and round in circles.

I diverted my attention towards the warm yellowish background and the crashing waves that rolled to the tip of my toes just to slightly dip them in the salty water. Despite my love for sunsets, I just don’t find it amusing right now. It’s just…another sunset. The sky now resembles a fire, a sky of three unfusible red, orange and yellow.

I thought I caught a glimpse of mom when the gush of wind crashed into my face once more.

Oh, right.

The beach used to be where the five of us in our family would visit frequently. And mom would always sing to me when I’m cold and shivering in her arms.

“When I’m king, dilly dilly, you shall be queen.” I choked out the lyrics softly under my breath.

What the hell am I saying in such a timing, ha-ha. I frown.

“Hazel?” The boy beside me called out, his voice warm and deep.

“Mm?”

“I wanna apologize for making you come with me because of my selfish act. I’m sorry, really.”

“It’s fine, I guess. I mean, we won the match, there will be nothing for me to worry about till my stupid hand heals, or maybe I should just amputate it. It hurts like suck balls.” I joked humourlessly.

“It’s not funn—”

“Kaaah! Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. Tyler, there was a giant Talitridae on my arm! Tyler, Tyler!” I screamed, shaking my arm as though I am dancing Salsa.

He started giggling a little.

“Jesus Christ, calm down! Sand fleas don’t bite people! Now just grab my hand, and slowly step out of there, Meb—” Tyler stopped in mid-sentence because he knew he called out to the wrong person. His teasing smile instantly faded away.

My chest squeezed once more and my breath is grabbing onto my windpipe. I took a few steps backwards, away from him. “Who were you confusing me with?” I asked softly with no single hint of anger, “I’m just curious.”

“No. I—”

“Uh-uh. You’re not answering my question.” My voice is still calm and soft.

“Alright, fine. No one. Nobody.”

“Still wrong. You’re lying, Tyler.”

“Listen to me, please.”

“No, just let me ask you: If I were to rewind time back to the party, what would you’ve said to Madrina if you’re given a second chance?”

He mouth gaped open, a big sum of hesitation rolling around his face. He couldn’t give me an answer. “It’s enough, Tyler, look at me.” I am thrown right into a mixture of feelings. My head is spinning and my heart is stopping. “I’m very…very tired. You’ve been giving me nothing but complications. I’m very confused now, even with my own life. It’s enough already, right? Don’t you think so?”

I grabbed my shoes.

“Maybe from the very beginning, we shouldn’t even be friends.”

***

[A/N]

Oh my god! I’m sorry this took so long. I’m getting really lazy and school’s a bitch.

Happy term break and cheers for more chapters to come by!

Thanks for reading, darlings. *buttbump*

xoxo,

buttpluff.