Chapter 8

Hazel's POV

I advanced another step forward only to allow my leg to further sink into the mud. “Eergh, it feels like it’s sucking my feet.” I complained and pouted. Tyler chuckled, “Get used to it.”

Get used to it? What did he mean by that? Is he going to bring me back here again? I shook my head, pushing the thought to the back of my head.

My arms threw forward blindly, desperately searching for branches to grab onto. The darkness has been nothing but a hindrance as fear continues to build in my chest; the trees surrounding us look like human figures fixing their gazes on us and the mud beneath us, ugh. There is only one designated path for us to walk on and according to Tyler, I should stay in front and lead the way because he can protect me from the back. Tyler held his phone as a source of light to guide us and every now and then, I’d trip over a stone, a root of a tree, or whatever that is. Typical me. And as if it was a natural reaction, Tyler would save me each time by holding onto my waist, sending weird thoughts to my brain and providing warmth to my cheeks. He’s just trying to help, don’t let it get to your head. That’s right, inner me is right.

I sneezed, rubbing both my hands together and feel the soil in my hands. It’s getting cold. As if on cue, I feel something warm wrap around my neck, undeniably soothing and comfortable. I gasped softly as I realized that Tyler had just threw his arm around my shoulders, walking alongside me. A blush slowly crept onto my cheeks and yes, this time I thank the darkness. I quickly look down, focusing on our path.

My quick and smooth steps turned into rough and rigid stomps on the tough path that is filled with twigs. We are back to the forest, the last prohibited door. The once beautiful and serene place turned caliginous and spooky. I’m scared.

We continued ambulating the endless pathway while racing against time. The night is growing darker and the moonlight is dull. I’m scared, the inner me repeated.

“Don’t be scared. I’m here.” Tyler assured.

“Wait, how d—”

“I read minds.” He smirked. I rolled my eyes, earning a laugh from him.

“Well, look who I managed to distract for a minute who wouldn’t stop trembling in my arms. We’re here.” He said.

My eyes widened. I was trembling? I was that scared? It must be that night where she

“Pea? You alright?” Tyler interrupted my thoughts as I looked up at him. His eyes are laced with concern and his lips are slightly ajar. I quickly snapped out of my thoughts, nodded and brought my attention to the ‘special place’.

My breathing hitched as I watched the conformation in front of me in awe. Despite the darkness that buried us in, the structure stood out perfectly.

Tree house.

A tree house.

A tree flying-peacock house.

My brain started screaming and every single cell in my body vibrated with anticipation as adrenaline pumped through my veins. My heart quirked with excitement, thudding loud and hasty.

When Tyler’s arm left my shoulders, a twinge of disappointment hit me as the chilly air replaced his yearned presence. What the hell are you disappointed about, you piece of shit. Right, no point arguing with the inner me, she’s right.

Almost quickly, Tyler’s hand shifted into mine. He interlaced our fingers and held me tightly. His warmth encircled my cold bony fingers. I smiled. He’s so warm. Shut the hell up, Aubree. This is going too far. Right again.