16

The night's silent, the endless pit of sky above weighs down on us all in a suffocating darkness, yet we can see clearly. I couldn't help but feel excited - adrenalin and nerves thundering in my veins - as I stare down at the road bellow. This is my first mission, a dangerous one, but a mission at that. But aren't all missions dangerous? You're going to fight and kill demons, I would be a fool if I said I wasn't even the slightest bit afraid.

We're a team of six: myself, Izzy, The king - or, should I say Vin? - Kane, Sid and Zack, two of the kings right hand men. We're all placed in watch areas as we wait, anticipating for whoever is supposed to show up, and watching the main Street bellow with the back alleys that part off from it.

Izzy and I are standing on top of a bar, standing on either end of the brick building so we can watch different sides of the road. The streets, although late at night, still hold people walking around, which increases the nerves sizzling in my body. The glamour rune Izzy placed on me is activated, but I can't help but feel like they'll see me.

This is my first time using it, so the whole concept that I'm 'invisible' to mundanes is just insane.

I lift my gaze from the ground and look across to the building diagonal to the one I'm stood on. Through the darkness, I make out the figure of Vin standing and waiting. His whole body is enveloped in the shadows, but that does nothing to stop me from being able to see him any less. His face is covered in the darkness, but, with the help of the moonlight, I can make out the expression on his face - the face that's void of any emotion and plain still. He walks across the edge of the roof occasionally, his face calculated and focused as he peers down. He reminds me of a hunter - a predator - waiting for its prey. And that thought alone sends a shiver down my spine.

I rip my gaze away from him and look back down, biting my lip when I see a hooded figure creep around the side of the wall from the alley opposite and quickly look left and right. I still, bending down slowly on the roof into a crouch and peer closer.

It takes a step back into the alley and lets the darkness surround it - almost as if it's calling it to do its bidding - using it to its advantage in a way any normal being could not. And the next thing I know, it's disappearing into the night.

I don't need to alert the others, as they saw it too, and quickly jump down - silently, however. I spare a look to Izzy and bring my stele out of my pocket, quickly running it over a rune on my rib and jumping down too.

We rush over to where it was last seen, but find nothing there.

"Fuck sake," The king growls.

"What was that?" Sid asks, leaning against the wall in frustration.

"I've never seen anything be able to do that before, it's as if it manipulated the darkness to turn it invisible," Zack says.

I turn to Izzy, a frown on my lips, "What do we do now?"

"We'll look around for anything suspicious," Vin answers for her, before turning to the other three men as well to speak, "Look for any signs of magic to help us try to identify what we're going up against. Also, keep a look out. There could be others around."

We all nod, separating to go off on our own, but Vin grabs my wrist and starts pulling me down the alley. His hold is tight, but with the darkness that screams through the silence, I welcome the touch with open arms.

"You're with me, I'm not having you go out on your own."

"How lovely to know that you care about my well being," I smirk sarcastically.