Chapter 05

The first day in the university I still recall, Jerrard went to drop me in. I remember how much I cried saying that I don’t want to leave Jerrard or Sheila and stay away from them and their love. But Jerrard was the only one who convinced that I can be home every holiday which I am pretty sure of going to be limited to only two months out of twelve months in the stupid calendar. But fortunately Dad has actually arranged every possible effort to make my life stay at the university comfortable and homely by affording a single stay room in one of the best apartment complexes in California State.

First day in the university I felt so awkward because all these years I have only met few kids at college and now I am going to meet every cat and dog of life. Being a shy kind of girl I always found it hard to move on with people in life. And apart from all getting everything done on my own was the biggest pressure I had to go through in my mind. And after all though home was few miles away from home dad wanted me to be spending time in the university than home, which I hated at the beginning but now I regret the fact that I hated it actually because university was the place actually I found hope, love and a home.

“Welcome The Talent to California State University, LA” I still remember it was hanging sky high with balloons and so much of decorations all around to warmly welcome the new students to the university on the discovery day, the day of registrations.

I remember I was standing in a huge queue of students from all over the world to get myself registered. And I heard someone calling my name “Stephanie Rebecca Anderson”. I ran to the desk and looked around finding it hard to figure out which one actually called my name. And finally a guy sitting at the right corner of the table suddenly started starring at me and finally waved at me. I ran to him with a smile. “Hi I’m Joe. Welcome to California State University, Miss Anderson. I was actually calling your name several times and thought you wouldn’t have appeared for registrations today” he said with a light smile on his face. As we shook hands I felt shy over him stating that he called my name many times and no wonder me being that girl who always get lost in my own dream world not hearing him calling is no more wonder in my real life. Actually that was the day I met Joe in my life for the first time and who would have thought that we could be this close after then.

He was wearing a Rugby Jersey which reflected that he has to be one of the members who play rugby for the California State University, which I later confirmed as he was an active member of so many clubs in the university was pleasant and sounds kind. I would not call him handsome but he is actually an eye catching type of guy. He helped me with all the paper work to be done which I actually hate doing and once completed thanking him I walked in to the auditorium which we had our main introductory sessions.

“Oh my God!” the main auditorium of the university was as large as a stadium size filled with girls and boys all around the world. I went and sat in the chair which was reserved and numbered for me. And the first day in the university I would rather call it one of the longest days in my life.

After the introductory I came back to my apartment and started staring at the picture frame which Jerrard gifted me before coming over here. Looking at the portrait I felt how picture perfect mom, dad, Jerrard and me, we all together. And now though it was the second day here I have already started missing them a lot. I picked up the phone and called mom, “Hi mom, it’s me I started uni today”, I told her with so much happiness, earning a degree in International Travel and Trade was my only ambition then because I always wanted to be like Jerrard or dad who were running their own businesses. “Hi Stephie my baby girl, how you hanging on. I know you will make us proud one day”, I remembered mom telling me then which actually I made it true. We spoke for hours and hours because I haven’t spoken to her for so long. And as soon as I hang up on her I started speaking to dad and my brother because no matter what me and dad went through I felt that I should speak to him and say how thankful I am for giving me the best opportunity a father could gifted the best for a daughter.

Days went by and I started going for lectures every day. Everything was the same though it was another day. As usual I have not make many friends, it was just only me, lectures and my study times. That’s all.

And one day I met Joe by surprise for the second time, after meeting him the very first day at the university while I was having my breakfast in the cafeteria. He walked by my side, “Hi Miss Anderson How have you been? I have never seen you appearing around ever since I saw you first other than seeing you going for lectures”.

“Hi Joe, I am doing good. Please feel free to call me Stephanie, Yes I was actually busy doing my studies”, I am not a nerd, it was just my allergy over meeting people made me the reserve type. So even when I had free time I never make it a point to go out of the apartment and even in university I limited myself only to the cafeteria where I eat, my lecture room and the library. That’s all.

And here Joe comes again with a plate of food, some sandwich, coleslaw and two glasses of chocolate milk shake and sitting next to me by my side. “Miss Anderson, oh sorry Stephanie, I forgot would you mind if I sit here joining you for breakfast? Here I got a chocolate milk shake for you as well, I know you like it as I see you always with a chocolate milk shake in the café”, I nod my head encouraging him to sit and smiled back for the statement he made over about my craving over chocolate milk shake. I never knew that I had a stalker in the university who actually showed interest over what I am doing. And now here I am finding it difficult talking to this guy whom I don’t even know well.

We kept on talking for hours and then only I realized that I was almost late for lectures that day.

Ever since then Joe and me became good friends and every time when I am bored he made it a point to be with me so I never felt alone in his company.