eighteen

-:- House of Rendezvous / House of Rescue -:-

The echo of the iron door slamming shut rang through the empty warehouse. We stood together, looks of surprise mirrored on our faces. I scanned the warehouse, searching for a way to get out, but all the windows were locked shut.

"Can we smash a window?" Amber asked.

"They're all locked," I noted.

"Amber, did you bring your phone?" Nina inquired.

"Of course, this is me we're talking about," she flipped her hair over her shoulder and retrieved her cell. "Oh no."

"What?" I asked carefully.

"I used up all my minutes voting on Celebrity Pop Fighters last month," she told us.

"Amber!" Nina and I chorused.

"I hope your contestant won," Nina crossed her arms.

"No, can you believe it?" Amber huffed. "After all I've done for her."

"What a shame," I said sarcastically.

"Honestly," Amber agreed. "Anyways, we'll have to use your phone."

She gestured to Nina, whose face fell with realization as she patted her pockets.

"I have mine," I offered, and Nina gave me a grateful look.

I reached in my back pocket, pulling out my phone swiftly. I searched through my contacts, deciding that Fabian would be the best option. However, when I held it to my ear I heard three solid tones rather than a ring. Confused, I took the phone away from my ear and tried again.

"Did he pick up?" Nina asked.

"It never rang," I informed her. "I don't have service."

"We're not that far from the school," Amber said."

"We're on an international phone plan," I reminded her. "Gran didn't splurge on a very good one though."

"So what do we do now?" Amber asked.

"Fabian will find us," Nina answered hopefully.

"He might," I agreed. "But we can't count on that. We need to try and get out of here."

"What do you suggest?" Nina sighed.

My gaze rotated through the warehouse, hoping to see something then that I glossed over before. My eyes landed on the hook of a crowbar peeking out hidden behind a cardboard box. Wordlessly, I took the minimal steps required to get to it and picked it up with enthusiasm.

"We could try using this," I turned back to Nina and Amber, showing them what I'd found.

"Might as well," Nina shrugged.