four

-:- House of Agendas / House of Keys -:-

The day after we snuck into the attic, Victor conducted a bag search in our house after classes. Patricia was the only one of us who seemed nervous about the bag search, and I wondered what she was hiding. The rest of us were okay with it, for the most part. I was only a bit stressed out that I couldn't work on my homework, because that biology assignment was due tomorrow and Mara still needed to look over it.

I left our bedroom to go get a snack from the kitchen, as I had skipped lunch in order to sit with Nina and research hieroglyphs. While I was in the kitchen, I spied Jerome and Mick talking, and was curious as to why. They weren't exactly friends, and considering the conflict brewing between Alfie and Mick, I figured Mick would be avoiding Jerome as well. I grabbed a banana and made my way to the living room, taking a seat on the couch across from Mick and Jerome. The moment I sat down, Amber Millington stormed in angrily, giving Mick a pointed look.

"I'm waiting for an apology, Mick," she said to him, crossing her arms.

"Well you'll be waiting a long time then," Mick said harshly before he walked past her and out of the room.

"Wait a minute," Amber called after him. "I'm the mad one!"

Amber walked over and sat down next to me on the couch.

"He's the one who stood me up!" She exclaimed.

"That's a dick move," I agreed with her. "And after we spent so long deciding on that dress for you."

"I know!" Amber cried.

I took another bite from my banana while Patricia and Mara entered the room.

"What are you grinning at?" Patricia asked Jerome, who was smiling happily to himself on the couch across from Amber and me.

"Just happy to be alive," Jerome explained and I gave him a quizzical look.

Patricia rolled her eyes at him and took a seat in one of the chairs, Mara taking the other chair.

"Any sign of Victor with our bags?" Patricia asked.

"Nope," Jerome answered. "It's great, isn't it? The perfect excuse not to do french homework."

Just as Jerome finished his sentence, Victor walked into the living room, carrying our bags in his arms.

"Here we are," Victor said as passed out the bags. "All checked."

I took my bag gratefully and quickly pulled out my laptop to continue working on the biology assignment. I was only half-listening to the rest of the conversation that took place, but I gathered it was centered around Patricia's conspiracy about Joy and her disappearance.

After finally finishing my biology assignment, and having Mara look over it, I was exhausted. I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before because of our journey to the attic, and I needed some time to rest. While I was on my way upstairs, Jerome stopped me in the hallway.