For The Last Time

Before Kageyama knew it, the athletes from Date Tech had gone home, as had a lot of the members of Karasuno. Only Hinata, Ennoshita, Daichi, Sugawara, and Takeda remained. Hinata was rapidly talking to Sugawara about something, and Daichi, Takeda, and Ennoshita were discussing the team in the corner. Kageyama stood there awkwardly, not sure which group to join. He didn't have to make that decision, however, as Sugawara and Hinata began to make their way over to the rest of the group. Hinata looked determined, and Kageyama's interests rose.

"Mr. Takeda?" Hinata's voice was small, nervous, but certain at the same time.

"Yes Hinata? What is it?" The teacher paused what he was talking about and turned to the wheelchair that Sugawara had pushed over.

"You offered to bring me back to the hospital, right?"

"Right...." Takeda looked uncertain, probably unsure as to where the conversation was leading.

"Well... I know that you were told to take me home right away and that I should be resting and I know it was a huge risk for me to come here today and I'm not forcing you to say yes-"

"Whoa slow down." Daichi interrupted, holding out his hands. "We don't know what you're saying." Hinata paused, taking a few seconds to gasp for air. He coughed a few times and then cleared his throat.

"I was wondering if we could make a small stop on the way home." The boy looked nervous, probably afraid of being rejected.

"You know we're not supposed to-" Takeda tried to interrupt, but he was cut off quickly by Sugawara.

"He just explained it to me and... It's something really important to him. Even though it's not smart, and it goes against what his mother said... I think we should let him." Sugawara's tone was calm yet forceful.

What's going on?

"Will it be quick?" Takeda looked at Hinata, trying to gauge his condition. Hinata nodded his head as fast as he could.

"There's just... Somewhere I want to go. I never thought that it would get so bad that I wouldn't be able to leave the hospital. But... I had such a hard time convincing my mom to let me come today that I'm scared I'm not going to get another chance. This... May be my last time visiting this gym." Hinata's voice wavered, and he made a small gasping sound as if he was trying to choke back tears.

His... Last time? No... There's no way... There's still so many things I have to do with him here... There's so many things that happened here... He's really giving all that up so easily?! There was nothing Kageyama could say, so he held his tongue.

"Well... If it's that important to you..." Takeda scratched the back of his head, still looking uncertain. "Where is it?"

"It's just... A certain place. I swear it's not too far out, I promise. It's... Kind of a random location and... I promise it's nothing bad!" Hinata reassured, catching the look of fear on Daichi and Ennoshita's faces.

He's talking about the tree.

Suddenly it clicked. Hinata wanted to go back to the tree on the hill.

For... For the last time.

Kageyama had to fight to keep the knot in his throat from coming undone. It wasn't the time. It wasn't the time to break down. Not like last time. I have to stay strong... I'm not going to abandon Hinata again.

"I know where he wants to go," Kageyama choked out, stepping forward. He met Hinata's eyes and saw a mix of sadness and gratitude lying there. Hinata nodded, confirming Kageyama's suspicions. Kageyama nodded back, letting Hinata know that his request was heard.