Chapter 3 - Driving with Daddy

I tried to open my eyes. They were glued together after sleeping for so long. I realized I actually didn't feel tired for once. I felt refreshed and ready to start the day. Let's just hope it was going to be a good one.

It was my mom that woke me up. She told me that all my new books were in my bag because she spent all of yesterday looking for them in the city bookstores and there was also some lunch money on the table downstairs. She kissed my forehead, told me to get up and left to go to shopping.

I'm really going to miss her. But she isn't capable of dealing with all of this. She's going to be put into a mental health center and I can't stay with my dad. I wouldn't be able to do it. I'm glad at least she's getting some help.

I didn't want to be late for my first day at school so I got up and put on a pair of black leggings and a long, oversize denim shirt with a collar. I added some bangles because I rolled up my sleeves (only halfway so nothing shows) and then a big necklace. I looked at myself in the mirror. It looked pretty good. My hair flowed down my shoulders reaching my waistline. It was a little wavy at the ends as it sometimes is when I go to sleep with wet hair. It was a weird brown blonde color, lighter at the ends. When I asked nobody ever knew what color it really was. Some people said blonde, others brown and some even said ginger. I did dye my hair ginger ages ago but it nearly all washed out. I still have my blonde dip dye though. I don't really know. I think nobody does.

It was the same with my eyes. They were a blue, green, gray color. Nothing particular. Nobody was ever able to specify my hair and eye colors but I'd grown used to it. I don't have any distinctive features. I'm nothing people can recognize me for. Nobody special. Nobody worth a second glance.

I didn't eat anything. I already felt like throwing up because I was so nervous. Am I going to make a fool of myself? Will they hate me? Will they make my life miserable? I couldn't stop these thoughts from escaping my brain. I didn't know what would happen if I actually ate but I sure as hell didn't want to vomit all over my new classmates.

I brushed my teeth and started chewing gum straight after I finished. I really thought I had an obsession with fresh breath and white teeth. I never failed to brush them. Even if I was in the biggest hurry I would never leave without having that minty taste in my mouth. I think it developed when I was still little and terrified of going to the dentist. It was a pretty good thing though, because I had pearly white teeth without all those whitening sessions kids at my (now old) school used to go to. Their teeth were just a bit too white, at least for my taste.

I decided for a bit more make-up than usual today and to be honest I was really happy with how it had turned out, making my eyes look bigger and contouring my face in a perfect way. I was pretty good at make-up. I guess it was because I spent so many hours watching YouTube tutorials on 'How to properly blend your eye shadow' or 'How to put on eyeliner'.

It was funny that I did that, mainly because my dad would never let me buy make-up. He said it was stupid and pointless because there was nothing in the world to make me look pretty. He also said it costs too much. That was usually his excuse for anything which was kind of comical seeing  my both of my grandfathers have been successful business men and handled millions of dollars in big corporations.

That's how my mom and dad met. Through their parents. The two men worked together and my mom's family was invited to a dinner party at my dad's house. He used his charming smile and baaamm I appeared. To hide me they got married only two months after they met. I'm sure my mom loved him. She told me she did. I know she regrets it now. I wasn't so sure about the '19 year old boy madly in love' scenario but who knows? Maybe my dad could be caring and understanding. I was highly doubtful, but maybe.