↳ Tip #3 ↬ How to Get Over Writer's Block

Me? Procrastinating? Psh. Never.

But seriously tho, I have a serious procrastination issue. If something I've posted isn't doing well, or, igotminecraftonmycomputerandunironicallyplayeditfor7hourstsraight or I'm just not feeling it™, I have this tried and true method of getting back into writing a chapter.

—The Good Route—
AKA, Writing What You Want.

I like this one a lot, it's very nice to have some idea of what you're doing for a BIG scene.

For me sometimes, if I'm writing some filler or a scene is just not gonna happen, I like to make a separate chapter and just write a scene I've wanted to for a while.

It's a really good way to get your juices flowing, or maybe just getting into the mindset of that "universe" or character helps a little bit, but it seems to work really well for me, and I figured why not share the wealth.

EX: One time, I think I was writing the chapter where Chuck comes up, and I was NOT having it. I wanted to get like 4 more chapters ahead, for some reason I was writing Chuck like a literal baby, and I hated all of it.

So instead, I wrote the chapter I wanted to write. And you know what? I had 2,500+ words written in 30 minutes.

After that, I think I had Chuck's chapter finished in about 3 hours?

Tried and true, folks.

—Leave It For the Editors—
AKA, Beating A Dead Horse.

This one isn't my favorite. But it somewhat works when you're in a pinch.

Leaving It For the Editors basically means writing whatever comes to mind. You write the first thing that pops in your head, and just squeezing every last drop of writing powers you have to get a chapter on the page.

It's messy, and you hate it, but something's better than nothing.

And then when you actually feel like writing, you come back and clean it up.

Boom, you left it to the editors, aka, you in a better writing state of mind.

—I Need To Have At Least Something
AKA, ✨i'm missing my deadline✨

Guess who's back!

I used this over the weekend, and I'm in love! It's a whole lot better than just squeezing out whatever words pop into my brain.

To use this, settle into a comfy chair, put on something to watch, open whatever you use to write, and there you go.
You can watch something, and whenever it gets slow or you're just not feeling™ the movie, you can put a couple sentences down! Or one!

It's perfect, because at least you wrote something. And you got to watch (hopefully) a good movie/show!
And hey, if you only wrote two lines, that's two more lines that you didn't have before.

(Also, if you're writing a fanfic, bonus points if you put on the movie/TV version of the universe!)

—ELEPHANT—
AKA, i got literally nothing.

(i do not own this one, i saw a Tumblr post about it)

This one basically means you write what you got, and put the word ELEPHANT when you have nothing else.

Then you come back and fill in the blanks like you're creating a Mad Lib.

—Leave It Up To Imagination—

(i do not own this one either, it's yet another Tumblr post)

Basically, you're in a scene where your brain is out of creative ideas, and you need something quick so you don't lose your flow. 

Instead, you put [character gets out of tight spot using something clever and a paperclip]

And then when it's 3 am and you're like
"oh!!! i know what they do!"
You can come back and fill in the gaps.

I hope at least one of these helps you, and please let me know if they did!

[character says something witty for a goodbye]