Eight

I help the student council finish their banners and everything else they need for homecoming during the next couple of weeks. I paint banners and we get a lot of fabrics to decorate the gymnasium. We calculate food and drinks and Fisher gives us the list of the teachers that'll chaperone.

"Damn, I'd hate to police high school kids if I were Ms. Abrams," Grace says, eyeing the list. "That must be so shitty."

"Maybe she doesn't have much to do," I say. I'd rather be in school then at home, and giving how I have kids like Peanut-boy here, that says something

"Are you crazy? Have you seen her?" Liam pipes in. "I bet she got a boyfriend at home. Or at least has better things to do."

I shrug. I don't really care if Ms. Abrams has a partner or if she has better things to do or not, I'm just glad she'll be watching us because I like her. And I know she'd do something if people are mean.

Not that I actually plan on going.

I plan on being in the archery gym then running around town. Maybe Diego will be at the café and he'll talk a little to me in between tending to customers and I'll drink a glass of water.

"Who are you going with, Archer? Benji?" Grace suggests during some art class later, but I shake my head.

"I won't go. I mean, me and Benji will go to the football game on Thursday, but I won't go on Friday," I say, playing with my headphones around my neck.

"Why not? It's our last year," she pushes and I sigh.

"It's just not my thing. I like staying in and watching Netflix."

She cocks an eyebrow, smirking at me, "oh, our Archer likes to Netflix and chill, don't they?"

I feel my cheeks colour as they laugh, so I just shake my head, moving the headphones back over my ears.

"I'm actually very stressed while watching, thank you," I say, and Olivia has to cover her mouth with a hand to stop herself from laughing too hard.

I try to focus on my drawing, their voices muffled now by the music, until my battery dies again. I love not having the wire, but I hate having to remember to charge it.

"How's things with Evan? You're going with him?" Grace asks, but Olivia shakes her head.

"No. And he asked me to be his date four times already."

"Damn, dude should get a clue," Grace shakes her head and I see myself nodding, agreeing with her.

If I pieced things together correctly, Evan and Olivia dated last year but broke up before school started. And now he seems to be trying to win her over again, and convince her to go to homecoming with him.

Now, I don't know why they broke up, but I think he should stop bothering her, especially if she already said 'no' four times.

"I know, right? I don't know what would make him stop," Olivia sighs, and I half-shrug, as if I'm in the conversation with them.

"You know, you should get a date," Grace says, "I'd volunteer, but he won't buy it,"

Olivia hums, her pencil lazily tracing over the paper as she sketches what seems to be an insect. Maybe a bee?

"I'll be too busy making sure everything goes perfectly," she says, "it'd be unfair with them. Plus, Evan only wants to go with me because he thinks we'd be a power couple."

"Well, you would," Grace says, the tip of her tongue sticking out of her mouth in concentration, "student council president and football captain? Plus you two are hot."